Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Have a quick question about h-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Default Have a quick question about h-pipe

Hey, So I am going to weld up my exhaust this weekend as long as it isn't 15 degrees out. I have a 69 camaro that I am building with a mild 383. I picked up an H pipe and i was wondering how i should weld it in.

Like this{ H }close together or

Like this{ l----l }farther apart.

The H represents the h pipe. Just wanted to make that clear, after I read it, it didn't make sense.
Which way would the h pipe be more effective close or wide. Any input would be much appreciated.

Have a good weekend!!!

Last edited by sikmov2; 01-30-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I read it and still don't quite follow what you're saying. What you want to do essentially, is to split each pipe in a convenient spot after the collectors, insert a "T", and connect them together in the middle, forming an "H".
If I follow what you're saying about bringing them "close together", you would be making bends to bring the pipes together, insert a narrow "H", and make more bends to curve the pipes back out to connect with the rest of the exhaust? No, I wouldn't go that route, I really don't see any advantage in doing it that way anyhow. The idea is to have both sides of the exhaust pipes connected and balanced, and they will be with a conventional "H" tube. Are you fabbing your own or using a pre-manufactured one. For reference, here's the one I have for mine: Balance H Tube

Old 01-31-2009, 04:57 PM

Hey, thanks man, yeah you answered my question. I am running the same balance pipe you did lol. I just wasnt sure if there was a benefit or not. It would definately be easier staying the same width as the end of the headers and working my way back. Your car looks great, i'm years from mine looking like that. I think it will be road worthy at the end of the summer, hopefully.