Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Blower

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:25 AM
Default Blower

I am a somewhat NOOb to engines and cars, but my dad has been teaching me all he can as we are building my 91 RS into a pro street car. My question is what exactly is a blower, I mean usualy when you see one they are on high HP cars, but what exactly are they, an over exagerated intake/throttle body? If anyone could present an answer to this that would be great. Also if you oculd direct me to a good website so I could look at some that would be good also....lastly can you put a blower on a GM 350 motor?

Thanks, Kevin

Old 04-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Tech Droid

Blower is just a type of supercharger, usually a roots type. The name came from the device that was used on the old 61 series of the GM two cycle diesels. The purpose of these blowers was to force air into the cylinder when the intake port becomes uncovered at the bottom of the piston stroke. The 61 referred to the individul cylinder displacemet, ans the prefix number referred to the number of cylindes. So as an example, a 3-71 blower was intended for 3 cylider engine, while a 14-71 was intended for a 14 cylinder engine. Hot rodders adapted these blowers to supercharge passenger car engines. Using a roots blower is not the most efficient way to supercharge an engine, but looks impressive on top of the engine. Purpose built superchargers are much more efficient.

Last edited by z28pete; 04-12-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

And if you're building a pro street blower engine, you'll need to keep your compression ratio down to about 8.5:1. In addition to having the lower end built strong enough to take it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roots_type_supercharger

Old 04-13-2010, 07:12 AM

In your honest opinnion would you rather go with a blown engine or a more specific built supercharged four barrel?

-Kevin

Old 04-13-2010, 10:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes

honestly if this is your first motor build i wouldnt be thinking about blowers and superchargers, heck i wouldn't even be thinking about nitrious. KISS... keep it simple stupid (not calling you stupid) we all like power and going fast but you need to have a basic understanding of the Chevy small block, what makes power, what won't and why. with that said you dont have become an expert, but you should be able to read a spark plug and a few other things.

if you have a basic gm 350, switch the heads, headers, intake, carb, exhaust, before moving on to power adders.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:48 AM

It is my first motor build, but my dad is a professional mechanic and has had quite a few hopped up camaros back in the day, so he helps me ALOT as I am only 18. I am planning on making this car into a pro street drag car, I just want the most power I can possibly get out of the 350 without having to upgrade to a big block like a 502 or something similar.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 04-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Tech Droid

If you are building to drag race in sanctioned competition events, you should get a rule book and find out what is allowed and required. Power adders (superchargers. turbos, nitrous, nitromethane, etc..) moves you into some very competitive classes where a lot of money and expertise is needed to keep up.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Kevin_B.
It is my first motor build, but my dad is a professional mechanic and has had quite a few hopped up camaros back in the day, so he helps me ALOT as I am only 18. I am planning on making this car into a pro street drag car, I just want the most power I can possibly get out of the 350 without having to upgrade to a big block like a 502 or something similar.

Thanks,
Kevin
I totally understand your WANT to go fast, but you NEED to learn on the way. Your dad being a mechanic is great, but that doesn't make him a professional engine builder. building an engine like what you want is gonna cost $$$$ upwards of 10 grand (depending on what time your are aiming for. If i was you i would stick to 10.5 bracket racing or even a class that limits tire size....

thier is also tons to consider what rear are you gonna run? what gear? spool? power glide? th350? th400? trans break? converter stall?

and it keeps on going. follow z28pete's advice and get a rule book find a class you want to run and is popular in your area and build your car for it, you dont want to build a car and have no competition.