Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

99 CAMARO 3.8 MAKES A RATTLE SOUND HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:29 PM
CIN
Default 99 CAMARO 3.8 MAKES A RATTLE SOUND HELP PLEASE

i have no idea what can be wrong with it today i went to go get a new cat and dual flowmaster muffler cuz i was told i had a bad cat and it plugged up the muffler took it down and asked if its just the cat or also the muffler was told both had to go even showed me the cat and it was all messed up spent about 700 and drive off and the rattle is still there i was hella mad i went right back and said it still rattles and it drives hella bad now it was hella rough so he then shows me that the spark plug wire was exposed from being melted from the exhaust manifold and it was makin a spark, and said the engine might just be old and sometimes that happends butit only has 80,000 miles but is old.now im gettin that changed but what can this rattle be?

Old 02-04-2008, 06:11 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: 99 CAMARO 3.8 MAKES A RATTLE SOUND HELP PLEASE

You from Cali? My ex was from Cali and used to say "hella" all the time. Anyways, check the heat shields on the exhaust, and make sure they're not loose.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 PM
2nd Gear member

I know the heat shield on my cat rattles,the cat itself is fine its just the heat sheild, that or the starter heat shield.... and yes i know i spelled sheeld 2 different ways i dont remember how....

Old 02-06-2008, 12:15 AM
3rd Gear Member

The heat shield on my cat use to rattle. I tried tightening it, but ended up taking it off, no morerattle. If you do that just don't park overanything flammablethat will be directly touching your cat.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: red94v6

I know the heat shield on my cat rattles,the cat itself is fine its just the heat sheild, that or the starter heat shield.... and yes i know i spelled sheeld 2 different ways i dont remember how....
I before E except after C... There are some exceptions, but no many.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:11 PM
CIN

alright so i did some more research on this noise the other day and found out that it seems to be coming from the area next to the transmission or is the transmission, it was very strange i jacked it up both rear wheels off the ground put it in drive since that is most of the time it only happens when you first take off when im on the freeway you dont hear it that much its a automatic by the way, and it wasnt there i thought to myself thats strange the sound is gone lowered the car back on the ground and put it in reverse in my drive way sound never happens in reverse put it in drive and heard it again its very loud as soon as you put your foot on the gas and gets more quite as you go faster , and to the guy asking if i was from california yea im from the bay hella people in northern california mostly say hella

im starting to think this isnt a exhaust problem maybe a transmission problem

Old 03-25-2008, 11:53 PM

My car did the same thing until i took it to a muffler shop. If u ever bottomed ur car our thats your problem. The problem with mine was that black bar that went across my muffler. It was bowed in. so he had to wedge it out with a crow bar and no more sounds after thant

Old 03-25-2008, 11:59 PM
2nd Gear member

a spark plug wire is not going to make it rattle, melted or not, it can cause a misfire which will cause a jerking and hesitation, the rattle sounds like a broken hanger wire or somthing underneath. Check your shock covers also, I had mine come loose a few years ago and made a rattle sound at idle and low speeds due to the vibrations, its not the tranny itself as if it was rattling, then somthing SERIOUSLY wrong would be causing it, and therefore would not shift properly... Somthing underneath is loose...

Old 03-26-2008, 12:00 AM
2nd Gear member

Can you get a video and try to lift the car and make it happen again? If I can hear it i can tell you whats wrong,

Old 03-30-2008, 08:09 PM
4th Gear Member

The cross member on the bottom. You'll see it run right below your exhaust right under your passenger side. The stock cat sits right on top of it and doesn't rattle. Mine did the same thing when I removed my cat. You just have to remove it. It doesn't hurt anything

Quick Reply: 99 CAMARO 3.8 MAKES A RATTLE SOUND HELP PLEASE