Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

94 LT1 z28 installing headers need advice on canister removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Exclamation 94 LT1 z28 installing headers need advice on canister removal

hey guys.. well i have a project camaro im building.. its a 94 camaro z28 i have a few questions.. first off is . I want to remove the the carbon canister located on the driver side engine bay. i know it has a electrical wiring running to it and a few hoses well i want to gutt all that .. can i ? and cap off the manifold ( or oem manifolds) you know how it has that crazy hose that runs from the left side of the manifold and under the engine and then to the right side of the engine and then the other manifold. i want to eliminate all that. can i ? i know when i order the new headers it wont have those inputs on them and if they do i would like to cap them off.. how will it affect my ECU? i dont care about passing inspection or any of that for i want to use it more on the track then the street.. but i also dont want it to affect my idle or the way the engine runs.. does anyone have any insight on this ?
next question is
my car has a automatic transmission i need a replacement what specs do i need to know .. is mine a 5 speed or 6 speed automatic is it electronical or mechanical what output does it have what other transmissions will mount up directly and what should i look for when purchasing.. anything you can let me know will be helpfull..

Old 10-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The charcoal canister is connected to a vent line to the gas tank. The tank/fuel delivery is a closed system, and the canister absorbs any gas fumes so it doesn't go into the open air. Without the canister, you would still need that line to vent. And I wouldn't recommend leaving it sit open to the air either. But if you cork it off, you can pressurize the gas tank. Disconnect the line or unplug it, and the check engine goes on. Does the canister bother you that much?
You can remove the "crazy manifold hose" if you want. That is part of your AIR emissions, which injects air into the exhaust when the engine is cold. Removing the hoses won't hurt anything, but if you unplug the electrical connection to the AIR pump, the check engine light will go on.
Your automatic trans is a 4 speed 4L60E. E=electronic shift, and you would be best off (less headaches, etc.) replacing it with the same.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:05 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^ agree. not sure if your talking about the evap or the polution control pump. the pump has a hose going to the air filter duct and another to the pipes that hook to the exhaust. if u disconnect these it would be a good idea to have the ecm tuned. the evap controls the vent to the gas tank like 69 says and u will not want to unhook it.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

From what I gathered, he's talking about the AIR injector hoses that connect from one exhaust manifold to the other. For emission purposes, the air pump runs and injects until the engine is heated up. Why would the ECM have to be re-tuned if those lines are disconnected? The ECM would only know the AIR system isn't working if power to the pump is unplugged. His AIR pump is electric, isn't it?

Old 10-12-2009, 12:41 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

well i was thinkin to keep the ses light from coming on and im not sure if it messed with the loop.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I ran my own, non-government funded "scientific" test on my 92 Vette this summer. It was with the thought of having the AIR hoses "fall off", mostly for cosmetic reasons. With the air hose disconnected from the pump (no longer pumping into the exhaust manifolds), all was fine and the SES light didn't go on. As soon as I unplugged the electrical connection to the pump, the light went on. Computer didn't know whether the hoses were connected or not, but did with the electrical connection.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Default HELP ASAP..doing tranny replacement 94 z28 (auto)4L60E&97Silverado4L60E

hey i need help i just found a great transmission on craigslist for 400. bucks i have a 94 camaro z28 with a automatic transmission 4L60E well first gear takes for ever to go in and i just changed fluid and filter i found a new 4L60E off a 97 silverado its a 2wd he said i can just swap out the rear tail portion its just 4 bolts i have to pull off and put my rear tail portion of mine.. does it fit is it a direct bolt up . guys i need to know if this is correct i need to also know how many bolts does MY 4l60E transmission have on the pan.. id really apprecaite it so much guys.. THANK YOU .. btw the car omg running great and i got it for 850. if i knew how to post pics id post them on here but ill wiat till i get it painted.. you guys can email me at caliwood909@yahoo.com jp's the name. thank you

Last edited by 94-z28; 10-15-2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: left out portion
Old 10-15-2009, 07:20 PM

btw the car has no evap or charcoal canister i disconnected it all and it runs great.. no light or nothing ran great ..

Old 10-15-2009, 09:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 94-z28
btw the car has no evap or charcoal canister i disconnected it all and it runs great.. no light or nothing ran great ..
Wow... I would at least think the light
would turn on. I guess u learn something
everyday.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Default need help with trans issues..?

hey i need help i just found a great transmission on craigslist for 400. bucks i have a 94 camaro z28 with a automatic transmission 4L60E (16 bolt) well first gear takes for ever to go in and i just changed fluid and filter i found a new 4L60E(his has a 16bolt tranny pan also) off a 97 silverado its a 2wd he said i can just swap out the rear tail portion its just 4 bolts i have to pull off and put my rear tail portion of mine.. does it fit is it a direct bolt up . guys i need to know if this is correct i need to also know how many bolts does MY 4l60E transmission have on the pan.. id really apprecaite it so much guys.. THANK YOU .. btw the car omg running great and i got it for 850. if i knew how to post pics id post them on here but ill wiat till i get it painted.. you guys can email me at caliwood909@yahoo.com jp's the name. thank you

Quick Reply: 94 LT1 z28 installing headers need advice on canister removal