General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default wont start

alright check this out. I think I ****ed it up now. Ok my car was starting fine and ran fine other then the fan wouldnt kick in when it got hot so i got wired it to a wire that will run constant while the car is on. It still ran fine exept I noticed that when I would slow down or stop after exiting the highway the car would loose power and die. I didnt have this problem until I wired it that way. So I took it off and it still did the same thing. The car sat for several weeks because it was cold out here and didnt want to work on the car. Well today I was able to start it and it was all fine until I decided to hook up the fan again the same way. I had a wire going to my ignition fuse box and it goes out to the engine bay but it was not connected to anything so I decided to use that same wire and hooked it up to the wire for the fan along with that same hot wire so that I can hook up a switch in the inside. well in the mean time while i did that the car just didnt want to start anymore. I had a reading on my dash that said REST which to me meant my gauge fuse. Sure enough it was blown so i replaced it. I took the wire off the hot wire and put everything back to where it was before just to see where I went wrong and to try to attempt it again. well now the car wont start from the inside ignition key. I have a hot wire to my starter that was there already when i bought the car and thats the only way i can start the car. the car started like that but for some reason not enough fuel was getting the the injectors or the injectors not pushing out enough. I replaced the fuel pump about a month ago and got a holley 14psi pump. I know thats not what it is for sure. Im just thinking now that i possibly burned the hell out of my ecu but not sure how that would of happend with what i was doing. I really need to get this car running. any ideas...?

Old 02-08-2007, 02:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: wont start

Check the rest of your fuses. When you turn the key, does the radio come on? If so, does the Security light stay lit? You might've screwed up your VATS system...PITA!

Old 02-08-2007, 03:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I checked all my fuses but ill double check tommarro in the day light. the security light turns on when i click over but it turns right off. how do i get rid of the security system.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:54 AM
Overdrive Member

Your car is a.... ___________________________________________ (fill in the blank) You cant get rid of the pass key. It works with the computer. All you could do is get rid of the key but it does not need to be done if its working proper and if the light goes out after a few seconds it should be working.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well i used to be able to tap on the starter whenever it did that and it would usually start up but thats not the case this time. i even had my wife try to start it while i tap the starter but nothing happend.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Theres a wire that goes to the ignition part of the fuse box. what is that wire supposed to be hook up to or is it just supposed to hang? Like i said before I checked all the fuses and their all good to go. I know it aint the starter yet cause i can start it with the hot wire. the security light doesnt stay on so that cant be it. also when its started with the hot wire the fuel pressure is low unlike before and i replaced the fuel pump to a holley 14psi. my radio and everything turns on. when i started it with the hot wire i disconnected the alternater and then i plugged it back in and disconnected the negative from the battery and still ran. the wire i was using for the fan is the wire for the emissions box which was taken off along with the hoses. I dont know anymore with this car. I really love the way it runs and would like to get everything fixed and running but Im running out of patients with it, if it aint one thing its another...lol... Also the fuel gauge doesnt work and want to get that fixed too whats the easiest way i can get that working even if i got to buy a aftermarket gauge.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Tech Droid

What engine & injection system do you have?

Old 02-08-2007, 07:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have a 91 camaro rs 305 5.0L TBI