General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What is this sound???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Default What is this sound???

Of the many things going wrong right now, my car now wont start...any help would be a godsend...
I posted a video- the sound is very specific- hoping you may have an idea what it could be.
The car was running great, and yesterday made a loud high pitched sound when I started the engine, which came and went. I got all the way home fine. Today- my car wont start at all- does not even begin to turn over....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0WDOzA-I9w

Thanks for the help!!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds like your bendix gear on the starter is no longer meshing with your flywheel teeth. It's barely touching and grinding away at it. I wouldn't try starting it like that until you take a good look at what's going on.
Was it making any noises prior to yesterday to indicate you having a bad mesh? Make sure the starter hasn't loosened and moved away from the flywheel. When you replaced the starter, did you use the special knurled starter bolts? That could be part of the problem, or cause, of what happened. Hopefully you didn't chew some of the flywheel teeth down too far for the starter to catch once your problem gets straightened out.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 06-02-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:05 PM

So, after checking it out, there is one bolt out of the 2 starter mounting bolts completely missing This starter was pretty new when I got the car and has worked perfectly for 2 years, but maybe wasn't installed well. So, my ring gear looks fine, (see photos), and my starter gear looks fine as well. There is one piece that looks like it may have been broken (see yellow arrow)- it looks like it just is a clip that tells the gear where to stop, not sure if it is a problem if its broken, if it really is broken (?) Just called Auto Zone, and they have starter mounting bolts in stock... hopefully it works, if not I'll get a new starter...
(I cant post photos here (??), but here is a link to the same post on another forum with the photos...Camaro 69, I would love to see what you thought...thanks a lot...

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/what...ml#post1273977

Old 06-06-2010, 01:02 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, that picture with the yellow arrow is showing a broken spacer. You'll need to replace it, otherwise the bendix gear will smack into the nose, and/or get itself wedged at the end of the shaft.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by jessedgraham
Just called Auto Zone, and they have starter mounting bolts in stock... hopefully it works,
It's Autozone and those are likely bolts from Motormite. Check those bolts for three things, 1) enough thread engagement (rule of thumb being, thread engagement length is 1 1/2 times the diameter of the bolt) 2) that they are not too long, making you think you have tightened the starter to the block when in fact the end of the bolt has bottomed out in the hole. 3) That there are there are enough threads on the bolt relative to the shoulder such that ..... you have enough thread, and do not bottom out to the hole at the engine block because of the relationship of the threads to the thread run-out (the bolt shoulder that is just below the thread) is too big. I've only seen scenario 3 once in the past and it depends how the threads have been machined in the block for the starter.