General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I need help with a noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Default I need help with a noise

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help

I'm working on a 99 ls1 camaro. It came in with the carrier in the diif was broken. I replace the carrier the gears, the axles, and every bearing in the rear end. After it was back togeather I drove it, and it has a noise. Apperently the noise was there before the rear end broke. I thought it might be tire noise, so I put the tires on anouther camaro, and they made no noise. I even change the U-joints in the drive shaft. Any Ideas?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:59 PM
4th Gear Member

Are you sure the noise is coming from the rear end and not the tranny? What does the noise sound like? Grinding, roaring, knocking, etc? Does it make the noise at any specific speed or all the time? Does it matter what gear it is in when the noise is being heard?

Last edited by osduck5; 05-03-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:22 AM
3rd Gear Member

When you put the rear back together did you check backlash, pinion height or anything like that? Throwing a rear end together is not something that you just replace. It requires a lot of critical measurements down to .005 of an inch sometimes. Backlash for most rears has to be within a .005 - .012 depending on the rear end.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Don't forget preload. That need to be verifed and adjusted when a new carrier is installed.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:49 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^ agree, its easy to get the settings wrong on the rearend and it will wine. also not sure on the ls1 but with a lt1 u need to add an additive or it will make noises.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Don't forget preload. That need to be verifed and adjusted when a new carrier is installed.
Ooooooh yeah. Ha, I was just spouting off some of the stuff from the top of my head. It's not like I do rear ends every weekend.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by kyphur
It's not like I do rear ends every weekend.
So.....how drunk do you have to be to do that? Sorry man, but you opened the door for that one!!!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

HA HA HA HA! That I did, that I did.
So what are you doing this weekend?

Old 05-06-2010, 10:46 PM

Thanks guys for all you input. I didn't just throw it togeather, I've been setting up rear ends for about ten years now. This one just got me good. It sounds like tire noise, like a wa wa wa wa wa. It goes with speed. the faster you drive the faster the noise is. I've put wheels and tire from another car on it, no change. The customer said the noise has been there for a couple of years now. I changed everything in the diff. I even did the bearings twice. I ran it with out the drive shaft to listen to the trans nothing. I ran it in the air, and listen to it with a stethascope. and the noise is loudest in the left axle bearing, and I hear nothing from the pinion. The only thing I can figure is that the housing is tweeked, and causing the axle bearing to make noise. two new bearings and a new axle shaft. I don't.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^ what the heck is that? is that a sneaky spammer?

Quick Reply: I need help with a noise