General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

very stupid starter problem but I need serious help please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Default very stupid starter problem but I need serious help please!

OK, I really need some help here. I have read every other post about this. I needed to replace my starter in my 86 Z28. I had done it before in my Grand Am which was simple as could be so thought, what the heck, I can do the one in the camaro as well and save $150. So, I tackled it, got out all the bolts and the strap and was under there for 2 hours trying to get the thing out because the exhaust is in the way.

I read every single post I could find and most of them say to remove the Y pipe? What is this and how do you remove it? I know I sound retarded but my knowledge of cars is limited and I am a small sized woman who does not bench press or work out so my strength is limited as well. (It was a real chore to maneuver that big fat starter for so long)

So, please, if you have any idea exactly what position I have to get this thing in to get it out, let me know. Or let me know what I have to remove and exactly how so I can get this thing out. Ive really gotten myself into a bit of trouble here since I thought it would be a 30 minute job and its been 2 days and I NEED to drive the car tomorrow. Im really in over my head here. PLEASE RESPOND. A thousand Thank yous!!!

Old 06-17-2006, 07:55 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: very stupid starter problem but I need serious help please!

the y pipe is where the dual exhaust joins back together in one piece and goes through the cat converter. i'm running headers on mine and the exhaust isn't an issue when replacing the starter. if there is no clearance to slide the starter forward or to the rear to get it past the exhaust or flipping the starter vertical, you may have to drop the y pipe. seems to me it would be just as easy to drop the exhaust from the manifold tho. either way the bolts are gonna be very tight. if your gonna be working on your own vehicle it might be a good idea to buy yourself a cheap impact wrench and a small compressor for them tough and hard to reach nuts and bolts. hope you can get it wrestled out of there. sick

Old 06-18-2006, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: very stupid starter problem but I need serious help please!

Did you remove the plastic cover on the bottom of the bellhousing. if not try that first to see if it gives you more room