General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Trouble firing it up

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Default Trouble firing it up

I've had my 93 LT1 for quite a few years now. I just got out of the military and came home to my baby sitting in the garage. My stepdad has been firing it up ever couple weeks for me and replaced the old battery with a brand new one.
Last week he was able to get it started.
Tried to start, but it won't.
The car will crank but just sit there and refuse to turn over.
We switched out the "new" battery just in case it was bad and it still won't turn.
The only things I've tried so far are checking connections and making sure there isn't any bonehead common sense thing wrong.
Other than that I've only tried rotating the belt manually just in case the flywheel needs some help. I'm not too tech savvy when it comes to the engine so any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm trying to get this beast started up so I can try and sell it.
Thanks for any help.
-Dan

Old 09-24-2008, 08:19 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Trouble firing it up

[:@] need to clear some things up in order to help. you say it cranks but doesnt turn over this is a contradiction to most of us. do you mean the starter motor spins but the engine itself wont go around?? need to clarify this in order to proceed kurt

Old 09-24-2008, 08:36 PM

Exactly. I disconnected the coil to the starter and cranked it and had spark so that part is good. Other than that myself and a couple of my friends who have owned camaros and know quite a bit are stumped.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:45 PM
2nd Gear member

so you turned the engine by hand and got spark?? if you disconnected the (coil) actually the starter solenoid, you would then be very hard pressed to crank the engine so ill assume you turned it by hand. if this all sounds correct and your original problem of the starter spinning without the motor going around also then you most likely have a starter problem, more to the point a starter bendix or solenoid that is not throwing the pinion gear into the ring gear or flywheel. not an uncommon chevy problem but seen more in the hot rod community but all starters are capable of failing in this respect. one trick to try to help verify and or make it work is to take a hammer and lightly to moderately beat the starter body, give it a try and report back kurt