General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

temp question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 09:12 PM
4th Gear Member
Default temp question...

hey i just ordered a..........
HYPERTECH 160º Thermostat 93-95 96 Camaro Corvette LT1 for my car...

NOW i want to put this in........

keep your engine cooler.
These JET GM fan switches turn on the vehicle's fan at a lower temperature than stock, for improved performance. Cooler operating temperatures increase horsepower and longevity. The fan switches turn on at approximately 195 degrees F, and cool the engine until it returns to 185 degrees F.

will this effect my car in a bad way? good mod or bad????????

Old 10-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: temp question...

Don't think it will work if you have a LT1. This is for cars that have fan thermo-switches. You need to tune the PCM to bring the fan is at a lower temp. Even if it works it won't accomplish much.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:11 PM
4th Gear Member

your the man pete lol, i didnt feel like messing with it anywho.............

Old 10-12-2007, 10:20 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] welll theres probably two things to consider here. the gurus at gm have bajillions of dollars and all the test and r&d stuff anyone could ever want and have decided that heat makes power and or cleaner emissions. the other side of that is that we know a cooler engine should in theory be given more fuel hopefully making more power. the gm fan switches are designed for turn on at temps near boiling point of water the thermostats are 195. so have i ever seen a real HP test between stock setup and one running a cooler thermostat and fans, NO would i like to see one ,YES. if your ride is well maintained then running around with engine temps near 220 shouldnt be a problem but there is less room for error than one running with lower thermo and fan switches. me personaly, not a big fan of those kind of temps but someone with way more dollars and data have made decisions to the contrary. if this was simply an emissions thing then show me some data to the contrary and ill be first in line to buy thermostats, fan switches and whatever else your selling to bring my temps down 25 degrees or so. one might ask does this potential temp difference produce any real HP differences based on the stock computer program?? or is it one of the more expensive ways to acquire a couple horsepower. theres my 2 cents, anyone know something the rest of us dont?? kurt

Old 10-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Overdrive Member

Kurt, in a theoretical sense a lower temp would help because the computer could advance the timing more because with cooler heads your less likely to have detonation. In a real road situation I'd be hard pressed to say that it'd actually make much difference, but theoretically it should work...key word "theoretically."

Old 10-13-2007, 04:46 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] while i havent actually looked at the computer program or mapping for these vehicles i would think that fuel would have more variables and be adjusted under more conditions than timing would be especially in relation to temp. keep in mind GM probably programmed in timing with horsepower and emissions in mind and even installed a seperate circuit (knock sensor) to help maintain maximum advance and limit damage potential . does anyone know if there is a different computer ( or program)for the aluminum headed engines versus the steel headed engines of this vintage??? in theory the aluminum heads should take more advance and leaner conditions than steel before having to retard, so did GM recognize this possibility and program differently for it?? its my thinking that hot or cold if you mash the throttle your gonna get full advance(minus potential knock retard) and the fuel will be varied depending on temp kurt