General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

short stall at hard throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Default short stall at hard throttle?

Ok here goes. 96 Z28 auto. just got the car and it has 4:10 gear, CAI, 30lb. injectors, cam but i don't know what size cam, headers 3" exhaust and flows and hypertech programmar came with car. It has a real short stall when hard on the throttle any help would be appreciated. the O2 sensor is not hooked up but plan on fixing that but i'm new to the camaro world mustang guy from way back and don't know if the O2 sensor would cause that or not. i know i need a dyno tune, but do i need to change throttle body and mass air i think so you tell me lol. The guy i got the car from is a half a** at everything. So please help if possible. "Serious post" no B.S. please i know cars just new to camaros only.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:37 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: short stall at hard throttle?

[8D] panhead unlike you blue oval fans GM's fuel injection system doesnt require a change to accomodate performance upgrading. however all computer sensors will still be needed (o2) in order for the computer to function properly. this seems to be a shortcoming when the carburated crowd wants to start playing in the fuel injected arena. yes alterations can be made but take more time and money to pull off successfully. it would seem the previous owner may have been part of this crowd and did all the nifty bolt on parts without considering the newfangled computers role in this day and age.

so yes the o2 needs to be functioning and the computer is gonna need a reprogramming or you need a compter that you can alter yourself to accomodate the changes necessary after much dyno time, not knowing the cam profile is a real handicap here. a simple reprogram may be possible if you know all the specs of your motor and cam, failing that you need something you can adjust as you do your dyno runs. you bought a little of someone elses mess, it can be made right but is gonna take some more time and money. until your computer is up and running properly and you have tuned for your specific mods plan on having some drivability problems kurt

Old 11-27-2008, 02:42 PM

thanks for the info. i can put the O2 back in it's there just the header has a plug in the bung that's no problem. As thedriving goes, it drives fine as long as i don't try to roast some tire. And as for the computer problem i've got a "Fast system" in the works so like i said thinks alot for the input.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:01 PM
4th Gear Member

Get it tuned... Problem solved