General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rear end humming

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Rear end humming

Ok guys, today i had a set of 373 gears installed in my 2000 SS camaro auto, it has 53k miles. But i went to pick it up and i noticed down the road that it was making a humming noise on acceleration and coming to a stop. I do know that the ring and pinion was used but not in bad shape at all, my friend that did the install has been building and working on cars over 20 years said he's used gears over and over on track cars that were worse and never had issues, but he did tell me that the bearing and shim kit i bought from the transparts warehouse had the wrong shims, he dug up some old ones he had and they fit fine,everything else was correct except the shims. What could the possible problem be??? And how bad can it be????? Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:11 AM
4th Gear Member

I would venture a guess and say the gear set was made by Richmond gear. They are know to whine due to the cut of the gear teeth (used for racing). Now that may why they were sold and in good condition. Nothing wrong with the install just the gears in my opinion.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:25 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

could be a shim issue as well. but if he knows what he is doing, id let him know first. then if something does go wrong, you can hold him up to fixing it. if anything, run it a thousand miles, then pull the cover and inspect the wear

Old 03-07-2010, 07:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well we pulled it apart again today, put some different shims eveything went back in ok it seemed to hit right in the middle, put it all back together and nothing. Bastard is still howling away lol. The only thing he could think was that maybe the gears being used sitting for at least a year and a half the way they sat in the box may have made the teeth warp or something. Well it ran fine all the way home sob really screams now but dang that whining is so AGGRAVATING.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:29 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

then try running another set of gears. i was taught though to set the tooth pattern to the bottom 1/3 so that when the iron flexes from heat and load, its an even contact.

also, in your dash, you will see some ***** and buttons. the upper left ****, turn it clockwise until the sound goes away

Last edited by microkid; 03-09-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah microkid i hear ya, i aint stupid dude.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:27 PM
4th Gear Member

Did you never determine who the gear set Mfg was???

Old 03-17-2010, 07:28 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Setting up gears is A LOT more intricate than just throwing some shims in there. Start from scratch with a new master install kit and the correct tools. Properly set pinion bearing preload and backlash, and properly shim the gears. Humming is not normal, and the fact that it got louder the second time confirms this.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by SS_2000
Ok guys, today i had a set of 373 gears installed in my 2000 SS camaro auto, it has 53k miles. But i went to pick it up and i noticed down the road that it was making a humming noise on acceleration and coming to a stop. I do know that the ring and pinion was used but not in bad shape at all, my friend that did the install has been building and working on cars over 20 years said he's used gears over and over on track cars that were worse and never had issues, but he did tell me that the bearing and shim kit i bought from the transparts warehouse had the wrong shims, he dug up some old ones he had and they fit fine,everything else was correct except the shims. What could the possible problem be??? And how bad can it be????? Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
worst case is the preload and or backlash aren't set right, in which case I suggest you better fix it. But first double check, check up after his work, do it yourself or have a professional do it, just to make sure, cuz if that stuff is off your rear end will eventually give.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Setting up gears is A LOT more intricate than just throwing some shims in there. Start from scratch with a new master install kit and the correct tools. Properly set pinion bearing preload and backlash, and properly shim the gears. Humming is not normal, and the fact that it got louder the second time confirms this.
there ya go, he beat me to it, he's right.

Quick Reply: Rear end humming