General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Questions on HP and whatnot

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 08:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Questions on HP and whatnot

the guys im buying my 3rd gen from put the 5.7 TPI in it and have it bored .30 over... headers.. exhasut blah blah.. some other things.... they say its putting down about 350 HP 345 TQ..... when they are telling me this does anyone know if they are meaning the the fly wheel or at the wheels??? im hoping at the wheels, but i am having the owner making a detailed list about the car so i guess well see when i get it...

hope its at the wheels... sure as hell feels like it

Old 10-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Questions on HP and whatnot

It all depends to whom you are dealing with. An engine builder and or someone that is selling crate engines is speaking about flywheel power, because they have no idea where or what the engine is being used for. They need to use an engine dyno. Engine tuners that work on an engine for a particular car, usually talk about rear wheel power (unless they want to make things look better than they appear), because they are equipped to measure power at the rear wheels with a chassis dyno. To confuse things more, car factories measure power at the flywheel, but the include all accessories, including stock intake and exhaust systems. Power at the wheels is usually about 30% less than power at the flywheel, depending on the drivetrain.
The ultimate test is to take the car to the strip, because this is where all the BS ends. This is where you find that Ford rates its engines higher than GM, and where "all things being equal", a good stock Chevy will beat a good stock Ford.

Old 10-28-2005, 05:00 PM
2nd Gear member

Excuse me.....stock 04 cobra vs stock 02 ss...

Old 10-28-2005, 08:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

umm i thought loss from flywheel to the rear wheels is 15%........ and when u say stock cobra... u dont mean superchaged do you?.... cuz im pretty sure my 88 will give u a nice run for your money..... gotta love 5.7 bored .30 over TPI ... haha o well.... once i get it i might take it to the track once.... other then that its sitting in my gerage all winter as i redo most of it....

but anyways.... im buying it from private owner and they have not had it dynoed with new engine and all other things done to it... and they say they were underrating it at 350...... this thing needs a tune real bad so i need to find a dyno... stock computer with jet chip and really big cam do not work together to well.... plus all other crap... yea i need a tune.... hmmm yea ill do that first

and isnt it 15% loss? anyone wanna clear this up?

Old 10-28-2005, 10:48 PM
4th Gear Member

The amount power lost is depenant on the trans type (auto or man), how loose the converter is and the rear end among other factors.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

th350 auto tranny.... 3:27 posi rear.... 1600 stall converter(yes low i know)... converter... not too sure... was all put in not too long ago so... should be good...

Old 10-29-2005, 01:17 AM
Tech Droid

Engine builders usually test their engines naked and with good headers, and intake funnels. When all accessories are added, such as, alternators, power steering, fans, etc.., plus a street exahaust and intake there is a considerable loss of power in addition to what is sucked up by the power train.