General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Purchasing a camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Purchasing a camaro

Hello, my apologies in advanced, but I have serval questions about purchasing a camaro.
I am very inexperenced with cars in general(I could tell you anything you needed to know about a computer) but a recent offer has been made to me that I am very interested in...

I have a friend from work who owns a 95 z28 camaro,155k miles, red, needless to say it looks pretty sharp...my questions are, what should I look into about the car and what specific questions I should ask him.

I have a friend who is a mechanic, what should I tell him to look for when he comes with me to look at it?

He is asking 4300 for it(he apparently has done a lot of cosmetic work) is that too much to ask for this car considering the milage?

He said it has had no mechanically problems(he carries himself very well-I dont think he is BS'n me) does the 95 model have any problems I should know about?

FYI- I am 17, about to go to college, and I really would enjoy this car- if it is worth the time and money(I am putting 1500 down- hes letting me make payments with no interest- thats whats so intregeing) - It's also better than the 91 subuaru than I currently own...

Old 02-05-2008, 12:19 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Purchasing a camaro

good price. make sure the water pump is good and plugs and wires and opti was changed recently. ( pain in the *** and a lot of money!)

Old 02-05-2008, 01:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluovlh8er

good price. make sure the water pump is good and plugs and wires and opti was changed recently. ( pain in the *** and a lot of money!)
DUDE! You stole my answer before I thought of it!?!? Bluovlh8er is correct! The parts mentioned are the areas that should be looked at especially the opti. If that has not been changed in a while then let your mechanic know that you'll be swapping that out AND since you already have the water pump off (yes the water pump has to come off in order for you to replace the opti) you might as well kill two beers with one gulp!!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:30 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Fair condition in your area book out at 3k.

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pric...QuizConditions=

Old 02-05-2008, 10:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Update:

becuase he needs the car to be sold immidatly, he acutally put it to 3200, so now I am just going to save up for it- I appricate the advice and information,

my parents are trying to steer me away from buying this car- they say camaros have a bad reputation....I dont turn wrenches- but I think I could most cirtainly learn how-to specificly for my camaro....(espcially with all ur guys help- I'm sure any camaro related Q can be answered here)

The only thing he said might need to be replaced is the radiator? how much would that be including labor?

Once again my apologies in advanced(I sometimes get frustrated with people on computer fourms of how stupid of questions they ask- so im right there with yah )

Old 02-09-2008, 11:43 AM
1st Gear Member

radiator should only be about 200-300, but the optispark is the thing you really need to worry about, mine already has it done, but from what i hear its expensive and a pain in the butt.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:43 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LT1RUNNER

ORIGINAL: bluovlh8er

DUDE! You stole my answer before I thought of it!?!? Bluovlh8er is correct! The parts mentioned are the areas that should be looked at especially the opti. If that has not been changed in a while then let your mechanic know that you'll be swapping that out AND since you already have the water pump off (yes the water pump has to come off in order for you to replace the opti) you might as well kill two beers with one gulp!!
OWNED!!!

Old 02-09-2008, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

if hes your friend tell him if anything major goes wrong within the first month then he will have to pay for it.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Would there be any reason to steer away from this car considering the highmilage? its close to 160k and it hasnt been rebuilt, should I look elsewhere, from browsing the internet- it seems pretty hard to find a z28 that looks good for around 3k...

if anyone lives in NC and has a better deal let me know lol

Edit- would I be lowering myself if I bought a firebird with an LT1 in it, I like the bodystyle, and it seems hard to find a manual z28 in my area that looks good for 3-4.5k-

I got excited when I saw this one - http://raleigh.craigslist.org/car/589799842.html

Old 03-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Fancy Sparkle

ORIGINAL: Phantasos

my parents are trying to steer me away from buying this car- they say camaros have a bad reputation....
i'm wondering wtf they are smoknig then. a bad reputation of what??? doing huge burnouts and blowing the doors off ricers??

and 160k on a LT1 isn't that bad. everyone over-hypes the "American cars are unreliable" crap. don't rod the crap out of it too bad and she'll last. sure, compared to a diesel they aren't realyy reliable, but diesels run for billions of miles

Quick Reply: Purchasing a camaro