General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Problems w/Dex-Cool coolant

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Overdrive Member
Default Problems w/Dex-Cool coolant

Also see the GM Dex-Cool specs:
http://www.acdelco.com.au/Assets/Dex...0-%20Specs.pdf

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...m_dexcool.html

GM Owners Still Steaming Over Dex-Cool
Corrosion, Engine Damage Blamed on Coolant

By Joe Benton
ConsumerAffairs.Com
August 29, 2006
Dex-Cool

• GM Owners Still Steaming Over Dex-Cool
• Consumer Complaints

Ten years after General Motors began using Dex-Cool as an antifreeze in most of its cars and light trucks, GM car and truck owners continue to complain that the coolant corrodes and clogs radiators and radiator caps, erodes water pumps, rots radiator hoses, causes chronic overheating and engine damage while leading to leaky engine gaskets.

Patricia in Barberton, Ohio, feels cheated by the automaker. "I have had 2 intake gaskets replaced on my 1997 Pontiac Grand Am. The gaskets cost me close to $1,000 and they told me there is no guarantee it won't happen again," she wrote in a complaint to ConsumerAffairs.Com.

"I just recently saw about the Dex-Cool problems and that is what I have been using in my vehicle since that is the kind that is required from the automakers," Patricia said.

Dex-Cool is now used in almost 40 million vehicles sold by GM since 1996. On its website, GM claims Dex-Cool will last 5 years or 150,000 miles but a steady stream of consumers insist the product is defective and has damaged their vehicles.

GM is quick to clarify its confidence in the antifreeze by stating that the GM owner's manual recommended 150,000-mile service interval is not a warranty guarantee. On its website, the company now also warns owners to consult their vehicle "owner's manual for the type of coolant right for your vehicle" and never "mix one type of coolant with the other."

Lawsuits Pending

At last count there were 14 lawsuits filed in state and federal courts throughout the country by GM vehicle owners angered over their experience with Dex-Cool.

A Missouri judge may soon grant class-action status to suits in his state -- and that would mean that millions of GM customers could become involved in the lawsuit. The Missouri Supreme Court has declined to hear an appeal from GM challenging class-action certification.

The Missouri suit was filed in April 2003 alleging GM vehicles with Dex-Cool in their cooling systems developed a rusty sludge.

The plaintiffs claim that GM refused to repair their vehicles or pay for the repairs and the lawsuit seeks unspecified damages for breach of warranty under the federal Magnuson-Moss Act and the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act.

Samuel in Bellville, Ohio experienced a similar problem with sludge in the cooling system of his car.

"I have sludge in my coolant caused by Dex-Cool,' he wrote. "GM demands that the coolant be used. So far it's just the gasket that has to be replaced. I will see if further damage was caused," he told ConsumerAffairs.Com.

GM Is Mum

GM will not comment on the pending lawsuits but continues to claim that Dex-Cool represents an improvement over traditional coolants. Nevertheless, the automaker has alerted mechanics that vehicles operated for 15,000 to 20,000 miles with low coolant levels "may be susceptible to the formation of a rust like material in the cooling system."

Deborah in Hornell, New York faced similar news from her mechanic when she took her 2002 Buick Century in for a maintenance check. Deborah was told the Dex-Cool needed to be flushed and refilled even though the owner's manual stated the coolant ought to be good for 100,000 miles.

"My car has only 48,000 miles," she wrote. "The Dex-Cool had corroded the engine and the mechanic also advised that the plastic manifold would need to be replaced since the Dex-Cool had literally eaten through it."

Deborah blames the costly repairs on GM because in her view the

Old 05-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Problems w/Dex-Cool coolant

What is the reason you cannot switch from Dex-Cool to regular coolant? Anyone know?

I have seen people here recommending switching...

Old 05-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Tech Droid

You can change it, but make sure all the DexCool is completely flushed out. The problem is that people add the green stuff to top offa radiator filled with red stuff, and the red and green stuff don't like each other. My 94 Camaroused DexCool for 180,000 miles without any problems.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Overdrive Member

Oh no. Not another LONG dex cool thread![&o]

Old 05-10-2007, 06:20 PM
May 2007 ROTM

Didn't we go through this in what seemed like a viper thread deal?

Old 05-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Tech Droid

Yep, it was pretty weell beaten to death the last time around. I promise not to make any more posts on DexCool. LOL

Old 05-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Overdrive Member

this always happens every year, ive used dex-cool with no problems at all, dex cool has kept it cooler to me

Old 05-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Overdrive Member

You see a lot of these dex threads in S truck forums and that is the most problemed vehicle.