General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Problems starting a car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Problems starting a car?

Ok so i got the 2002, camaro.... V8, 5.7L z28.... When i start it on cold engine it goes br-br-br then when i try to start it again it starts.... why is that and how to fix that? P.S. i am already changing spark plugs this week...[:@]

Old 01-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Problems starting a car?

get the battery tested.does it slowly crank over or what noises is it making ?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

not battery is fine.... and when i start you know there is this noise when like there is no gasoline in the car or something lol... you know when you turn the key but nothing happens? like it goes br br br but would not start 1st time but 2nd time it starts ...

Old 01-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Tech Droid

Try priming the FI system before attempting to start. Turn the key On & OFF several times without trying to start the engine. Then try to start. If engine now starts right away, it means the the FI system is loosing pressure when the engine is off. It could be due to a bad check valve in the fuel pump, leaky injector, failing pressure regulator, or an actual fuel leak.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Overdrive Member

also see if you get a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to the schraeder valve while you are doing that to what its actually at. when was the last time the fuel filter was changed ?

Old 01-15-2009, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by z28pete
Try priming the FI system before attempting to start. Turn the key On & OFF several times without trying to start the engine. Then try to start. If engine now starts right away, it means the the FI system is loosing pressure when the engine is off. It could be due to a bad check valve in the fuel pump, leaky injector, failing pressure regulator, or an actual fuel leak.
yes that helped ... so what do i do now? what do i fix? i mean i dont think that its a fuel pump coz car stars very easy when its hot. and injector is not leaking... there is no fuel leak coz nothing is leaking but do not know what is failing pressure regulator? what is that?

Old 01-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Tech Droid

The fuel pump has an internal check valve that goes bad and allows the fuel to leak back into the tank when the pump is not running. The only way to tell if the injectors are leaking is to pull them out and watch for fuel leaks when the pump is running, As was said before, buy a chep FI pressure gage and test the fuel pressure and the pressure regulator. There is a sticky in the LT1 section on how to do it. The same instructions apply for the LS1.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by z28pete
The fuel pump has an internal check valve that goes bad and allows the fuel to leak back into the tank when the pump is not running. The only way to tell if the injectors are leaking is to pull them out and watch for fuel leaks when the pump is running, As was said before, buy a chep FI pressure gage and test the fuel pressure and the pressure regulator. There is a sticky in the LT1 section on how to do it. The same instructions apply for the LS1.
1st. thank you
2nd. can you send me a link where to buy FI pressure gage?
3rd. can you please send link on how to use it?
4th. thank you again.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Overdrive Member

any autoparts store should have one and all you do is screw the end into the scrader valve, its simple to use dont worry.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alih
any autoparts store should have one and all you do is screw the end into the scrader valve, its simple to use dont worry.
lol sorry for a stupid question but what is scrader valve?

Quick Reply: Problems starting a car?