General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power Win/ Locks upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Power Win/ Locks upgrade

Have any of you added power windows and/or locks to a camaro that didn't come with them stock?? I have a few prices from the custom shops here, but I think I could do it my self. If you have, or think it is a bad idea, give me your thoughts on what worked, didn't work, or if you think it can be done. I am far better with electronics than engine work, and I completed my swap so I am ready for my next challenge.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:08 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Power Win/ Locks upgrade

[&:] while i have not made this particular conversion id think it would be rather straight forward. i cant say for sure but the mount holes for the parts and the plug ins in the harness may already be there for oem addition of the items you are thinking about. consider that the window motors seem to have a pretty good failure rate and the addition of the extra pounds make me appreciate my manual windows and locks. the parts, even used, will cost a few bucks along with thier removal and locating. the next investment will be a bit o your time i should think just the conversion and install will take the better part of a day. nothing adapts as cleanly, easily and smoothly as oe parts, i dont know if your lookin at oe or aftermarket?? this should be doable by the average enthusiest especially if its an oe swap in kurt

Old 11-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Power Win/ Locks upgrade

Keep an eye on egay. A while back I saw the whole power window, wiring,locks and mirros for sale and they went fairly cheap. That particulare one only listed one solenoid did not work. I have seen some funky aftermarket lock solenoids before. Not only weak but the way they mount to the rod to work themechanism.Its all easy to do. I would say the worse part of doing it for a beginer would be to align the window up to close good and seal and the regulators are held on with monobolt rivets. You either have or borrow the rivet gun for them or use some bolts and lock nuts. On manuals the wiring is non exsitant. You will have to get a harness of do it all yourself.