General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

P 1416 code check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default P 1416 code check engine light

my check engine light came on and it is the p 1416. it is air system bank 2 fault. any
ideas?

Old 04-03-2008, 10:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: P 1416 code check engine light

I ***-u-me it's a Camaro....

Make, Model, Engine Displacement, Transmission type, Mileage and region of the country your in. Symptoms the car has, how it is running, starting and driving. Also previous history of repairs that have been performed in the last few months and anywork done on the car to try and fix the current problem. Tests done and with what equipment....

Then we will go somewhere with it. Everything I ask is important to diagnosing the repair. I'm not harping on you and trying to make you feel bad with what I say next because it really goes for everyone, myself included.

For everyone, when you have a problem, post a snipet like above with details then ask the question. This gives whoever is helping a general sense of what they are trying to even work on.

Why do I ask all of this? Well, the first few to transmission are obvious. Tough to walk someone threw any repair if they don't know what they are helping with, online it makes it almost impossible. Mileage, well, for instance this P1416....depending on the year and mileage it may be covered under warranty. Region, depending on where the car is at, that mileage and warranty may vary. California is a different monster then say Wisconsin for even styles of EVAP and emmision systems. Over 30K and 3 years you say and out of warranty? Catalytic converters and some emmission parts are covered until 8 years or 80K. Test done or equipment. Nice to know if the person has a digitial multi-meter, a code reader, a proper scanner with larger capabilities or is just had someone else tell them thats the code.

I don't mind helping, but making it tougher to help can be a monster.

Back to your Hopefully V-8 Camaro. Could be a issue with to much air getting into the system on the second bank. could be a converter dieing. Could be a incoming air issue because of a misreading MAF sensor and the ECM changine the Fuel mixture to much (should have a P017__ if the fuel trims went to far.) Could be a lot of things, is everything hooked up stock? Mods done? Anything changed?

Old 04-03-2008, 11:58 AM

replace your secondary check valve-this will fix your problem- i checked the code at work

Old 04-03-2008, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Its a 00 m6 ss camaro with k&n and aftermarket exhaust in worcester massachusetts with just under 40 k...car is running fine full power no rough idle..dont drive it much to see if gas is off...

Old 04-03-2008, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks a bunch 88camero..is that a tough install?? im gonna look online now. thanks a bunch

Old 04-04-2008, 06:08 AM
1st Gear Member

A few things to check with that system. Look at the fues for the circuit. Check to make sure the AIR pump is running properly. If your looking at a scan tool you can pinch the hoses off and see a change in the oxygen sensor then you'll know if your getting good flow on both sides for sure. On the bank 2, you can pull the hose and confrim the valve is operating properly and physically see if it is in good condition. Applying vacuum to it will confirm its operation. should hold and release about 10 inch of vacuum. Double check the vacuum lines. A partially plugged converter can cause this code, but you mention good power. No smells of sulfure right?

Check for restrictions, look for moisture in the lines. If you took the CATs off you may be getting to much flow but of course other codes should be kicking in.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:59 AM
2nd Gear member

[&:] 88 camaro and ss camaro willie is asking for help from you to help you. people seem to forget the code and the item mentioned in that circuit are only one part of that circuit, theres wiring and yes the computer itself as well. the find a code and replace the component mentioned in the code is by no means a surefire fix to ones problem. I will guarantee that there is a lot of new parts sitting on shelves somewhere that someone installed ( shops and backyard) but failed to remedy thier problem. if its a cheap part not such a big deal but do you want to drop a couple c notes to find out thats not the problem?? certainly there are situations where a code is common and has a common fix just beware that the solution to your buddies similar code may not be the solution to your code and the component on that circuit may not be the culprit kurt

Old 04-04-2008, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: t9ojetpilot

[&:] 88 camaro and ss camaro willie is asking for help from you to help you. people seem to forget the code and the item mentioned in that circuit are only one part of that circuit, theres wiring and yes the computer itself as well. the find a code and replace the component mentioned in the code is by no means a surefire fix to ones problem. I will guarantee that there is a lot of new parts sitting on shelves somewhere that someone installed ( shops and backyard) but failed to remedy thier problem. if its a cheap part not such a big deal but do you want to drop a couple c notes to find out thats not the problem?? certainly there are situations where a code is common and has a common fix just beware that the solution to your buddies similar code may not be the solution to your code and the component on that circuit may not be the culprit kurt
well said.