General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

non-camaro. silverado tailgate question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Ninja Administrator
Default non-camaro. silverado tailgate question

So the tailgate latch on my 1500 broke over the winter and its finally getting warm enough for me to take a look at.

I pulled the cover off and it appears that the handle mechanism has 2 rods, one on each side, that come in and hook into it. these rods head off in either direction and I assume work the latch mechanism on each side of the tailgate. The rod going to the passenger side is no longer connected to the handle mechanism. There is some black clip-looking thing on each rod, and it appears to still be intact but i cant really figure out how the drivers side is held in to make a solid comparisson.

so how do I get this rod connected back into the tailgate handle? do I just need to buy a new platic clip thing? is there supposed to be some rivet style cap on the end of the rod that is now gone? Is my only choice to ghetto rig something to make it work (I am not above doing this lol)? Does this problem require a new tailgate or a new TRUCK!??!!!??? Perhaps it is time to throw in the towel and buy a new ford fiesta and resign myself to the fact that all of my cool days are over. Any help is appreciated guys, but at the moment my pre-workout drink is starting to kick in and I am feeling ridiculously hyper. so off to work out then I will check back later.
If I get no posts I am banning everyone..... not really...

but still....

no.. not really....

but seriously....

Old 02-17-2011, 10:26 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the ones ive seen are held on with a clip and thats it. what yr ill check in my 97 truck book,,,,, ok back,, yep it just shows the two rods goin to the latch. i can get a bad picture if you need.

Last edited by craby; 02-17-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Ninja Administrator

its a 2001. if u got a pic i would appreciate it

Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i just read of ppl using wire to attach the rod to the handle

Old 02-17-2011, 10:54 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

here you go

Name:  P2160001.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  83.5 KB
Name:  P2160002.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  75.8 KB

Old 02-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Your retainer clip is broken, and most auto parts stores carry them. The clip snaps into the hole on the latch mechanism. That part of the clip has a hole that the bent part of the rod goes into, then you rotate the clip to snap it onto the straight part of the rod.
This one may or may not be the exact style you have, but you get the idea. I have a variety pack of these clips, you can have one but travel would be a beech.

Name:  DoorLockRodClip.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  6.9 KB

Old 02-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Ninja Administrator

nice, thanks a million. I couldnt see the flanged part on the intact clip given my perspective but i figured something HAD to be there..... I will go check it out this afternoon.

next project is replacing the electronics on the bike and getting that back into shape for this summer