General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

MMT ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 03:32 AM
Default MMT ?

Facts on MMT...The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I've heard that it can help but I've also heard that it can be harmful. Any thought?

Old 08-17-2005, 03:17 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: MMT ?

‘I am convinced that MMT as a whole is better understood as coming from the parent group of the Qumran community. This pre-Qumranic group had already adopted the calendar, followed the halakhah we know from other Qumran compositions and started to develop some of the characteristic theological ideas we know in a much more developed for from the same Qumranic compositions.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:43 PM

Sorry, I meant methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl

Old 08-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Tech Droid

I am not an expert on octane booster, but gasoline is a complicted mixture of many chemicals, and I rather let the distillers figure out the right proportions. If I need high octane and it is not available at the pump, I can always get racing fuel with all the octane I need.

Old 09-19-2005, 09:20 PM

One of my senior instructors at the tech school I went to explained octaine boosters. Most are just glorified diesel fuels. They just make your fuel resist detonation better by making it burn only at ahigher temperature. Basically if you dont have the extra compression to create the combustion chamber temperature necessary for it to help you are wasting your money. Oxygenated fuels like alcohol are better if you want fast gas. I think I got that right, if not please correct.

Old 09-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Tech Droid

Actually your instructor is partially wrong. Diesel fuels are very low octane and detonate very easily compared to gasoline.. that is why diesel egines do not need a spark to set the fuel charge off. Octane boosters are supposed to make gasoline more detonation resistant, so that a higher compression can be used without setting off the fuel charge before the sperk plug is fired. Diesel engine run very high compression and detonate the fuel and are built strong enough to withstand the shock. Gasoline engines are much less sturdy and cannot tolerate detonation for extended periods.

Your isntructor is correct in stating that a higher octane will not help an engine that is not designed to take advantage of it.

Large diesel engines run compression ratios of around 20:1 to 25:1, with a turbo boost of 40+ PSI. The fuel charge does not burn but actually explodes. Gasoline engines for street use have compression ratios of approximately 9:1 to 11:1, and burn the fuel rather than explode it.