General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Miss firing in second

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:03 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Miss firing in second

Hello all. I have an interesting problem going on with my '98 camaro 3.8. When I start it up it runs fine without missing a beat, idle's fine, as everything seems well. However, once I drop it in gear and get moving, if I go anything above 2k-2500 rpm there is a major power loss. First gear is pretty much fine, it does occur occasionally but nothing like in second gear. The engine starts miss firing and I get what seems like small subdued backfiring and immediate acceleration loss no matter how much I feather the pedal in second gear. And then when it gets back down to about 2k or 1500 rpm everything goes back to normal. So obviously I was thinking one of my coil packs have taken a dive. Being dark I haven't had the chance to take a look at it and troubleshoot it yet. And I plan to do that as soon as the sun comes up this morning. I just changed the plugs and wires with good quality stuff about two months ago so I wouldn't think that would be an issue. So if I find that all the he plugs and wires are snug tight. And I do the coil pack check by pulling the wires off the pack one by one itself (is there a better way to do this) and making sure their firing and that's not the problem. What should be my next avenue? I have had coil packs fail in the past and knew immediately that was the problem and fixed them obviously with replacements. But it was immediately noticeable from the second I started the car and in this case it's not. So, if I find out that this route doesnt show any problems what should I check next? I appreciate any advice and I hope you guys have a great day.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Miss firing in second

While you are getting the coil packs tested, it is a good time to have the coil control module, sitting under the coils, tested also. Is the Ceck Engine lit?

Old 01-08-2009, 05:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes it sure is.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Droid

Get it scanned & see what the trouble code is. The code will give a starting spot in resolving the problem.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:56 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well my concerns are the check engine light has been lit since I bought the car. So I'm aware that if I get it checked, I will obviously find more then one problem. Which is great for something to work towards. However, I just dropped over 1,000 bucks on a trip I have to take to Texas in two days and I'm currently unemployed. So, unfortunately I can't just run up to the dealership or shop and drop 100 bucks on a starting point. I'm going to have to make it happen on my own, this time around. Eating and car's are two very important things in a man's life. However, being out of work with no steady income a man's gotta eat first and fix the car second I'm afraid.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Also, I took it out for a spin this morning. And the missing / power loss does happen in first gear as well. Being my daily driver and my only vehicle at this time I go easy on her. So I'm not sure if that helps at all but I figured I would put it out there. I also noticed a crack in the tail pipe. At the base of the muffler. It's pretty significant. Could that cause a back pressure problem? I have duels. I'm wondering if that's the case? Cause I could surely take the pipe off without too much trouble and seal it with something to force the exhaust back out the other pipe right? Or would I have to get the whole muffler replaced?

Old 01-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Too bad you noticed the miss in first gear now too. I was going to suggest shifting from first to third to avoid the second gear misfire!
But seriously, if you go to Auto Zone, they will scan your car for free. It would be a good thing to at least know what could be wrong. It could be just a sensor for all you know. Driving for too long with the SES light on could damage more than what's wrong now. And no, your hole or split in the pipe or muffler isn't going to cause a misfire. Can't say whether just the pipe and/or the muffler needs to be replaced without seeing it. But if the muffler is solid and just the pipe is bad, the pipe can be replaced.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks camaro 69! Great info! Took it up there got it scanned and it was the coil pack. The third and sixth cylenders were the ones that werent firing properly. But they were firing, just not under a heavy load. Picked up the coil pack, replaced it and its good as new. Pete, thank you as well for your good input. You have helped me on a couple occations and I definitely dont want to leave you out when the appreciation is due. No more engine light! You guys are great. Thank you so much.