General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Miss fire

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Default Miss fire

Hope I;m posting this in the rt place I'm new to this. I have a 1991 camaro 3.1. I changed the dis cap wires and ignition mod. the car bougs like crazy when i give it gas it struggles to even move. possible miss fire or wires may be wrong on the dis cap. am I rt or wrong help. thanx

Old 10-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Miss fire

does it miss when its at idle ?

Old 10-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Droid

Check engine lite lit?

Old 10-18-2007, 10:10 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] is it running smooth or rough. is it smooth and just lacks power when you mash the go pedal??

Old 10-19-2007, 04:27 PM

Well here's the story on this car hope this helps. Bought it for $500.00 needed a fuel pump so i replaced that also needed a fuel sending unit so i replaced that also. Yes I took the machanics short cut and cut a hole in the truck. Best thing to do when replacing a fuel pump. Oh and this car sat for 10 years. I have not yet replaced the fuel filter. Hope this hellps guys. It sound like it idles fine. It idles at about 800 RPM but choppy my guess is yes then it idles semi bad but not real sputary.I does give a st8 engine sound more like a V8 with headers sound. I dont know how to explain it sorry for that. lol and yes when I mash on the pedal it doesn't like me doing that. Check engine light is not lit. I'm thinking injectors. Could I be rt help me out i've tryed what I think is everything.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:31 AM
2nd Gear member

[&:] im a thinkin we might want to make sure weve got a good engine first. cars that sit especially for that length of time usually have a reason. broke down and cant afford to fix it is a common one , and then it changes hands a couple times and magicly no one seem to remember why it was parked(oh thats right it needed work and wasnt worth fixin or i couldnt afford it) i think a compression test is your next step so were not chasin our tail. if we have good mechanicals then well work on electrics and computer controls kurt

Old 10-20-2007, 09:01 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Did you change ALL the fluids and ALL the filters? You mentioned the fuel filter needs replacing - I would venture to say the other ones as well. Also I would get some seafoam, works wonders on carbon build up. Once you give it a nice tune up it will be easier to diagnose.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:58 AM

All fluids are changed exept the radioator. I was gonna run some cleaner through it before I change it. Also I know the engine is good because the first fuel pump I replaced it ran fine idle good and every thing. It all started when I replaced the distributor cap and wires. Maybe I'm wrong Maybe I do have the wires in the wrong positions. Maybe I should just drop a Grandnational engine in it. LOL. I will change the plugs and mess around with it a little and check back in a week. If you have any other suggestions You can reach me on AIM @ legacyin07. Thanx for all your help guys. Oh yea one person suggested checking the TPS sensor. Thanx again.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Tech Droid

Now that you fessed up that the trouble started when you changed the distributor cap and wires, you need to go back and double check your work. If you have the wires in the wrong place, the engine will run poorly or not at all. Check that the wires are not touching against hot exhaust parts as that will damage the insulation and cause misfires. Make sure the wires are routed according to factory spec to avoid inductive crossfires (Chilton manuals usually have a routing diagram), and they should not be bundled together for the same reason. Also look at the distributor cap and rotor & check for cracks and carbon tracking, especially if you touched the inside with greasy hands, check the connectors at the end of the wires, and check the wires end to end with an Ohm meter foe excessive resistance.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:01 PM

Not much more to say than what Pete said.

I'd also check plugs since those weren't changed. They might be gapped wrong, or may be loaded with carbon. Another thing, you should use the dielectric grease in the boots of the plug wires if you haven't done that already.

Quick Reply: Miss fire