General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Leaking Convertable Top

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Default Leaking Convertable Top

i'm new to the site and hoping someone can help me. I just bought a 95 Z28 convertable last weekend and when i went to wash it i noticed the top leaked in a few areas.... the first spot i found was at the top of the passengers window in the rear corner (dripping water onto the floor and leather seats), the second leak happend at the drivers side a-pillar in the very front (dripping water onto the doorsill. i didnt take a good look at the mechanics/construction of the top but maybe you guys can help. i'm just wondering if the whole top needs to be replaced to fix this or just individual pieces, if possible (like the rubber piece that that windows rest against or the side view mirror piece at the a-pillar). any suggestions? its not a major issue to me at the moment because it doesnt leak too bad. just would prefer no leak at all. thanks

Old 06-03-2010, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by camaro3508
i'm new to the site and hoping someone can help me. I just bought a 95 Z28 convertable last weekend and when i went to wash it i noticed the top leaked in a few areas.... the first spot i found was at the top of the passengers window in the rear corner (dripping water onto the floor and leather seats), the second leak happend at the drivers side a-pillar in the very front (dripping water onto the doorsill. i didnt take a good look at the mechanics/construction of the top but maybe you guys can help. i'm just wondering if the whole top needs to be replaced to fix this or just individual pieces, if possible (like the rubber piece that that windows rest against or the side view mirror piece at the a-pillar). any suggestions? its not a major issue to me at the moment because it doesnt leak too bad. just would prefer no leak at all. thanks
Most likely need a weatherstrip tweak... but these tops aren't super sealers, especially if the windows are out of alignment.

If you remove the rubber, you'll see some screws underneath. Those screws are in slotted holes, so you can tweak which direction the weatherstrip can go.

You might wind up needing to tighten the top against the header, too. The hooks for the latches have an Allen set-screw - loosen it and you can screw the hooks in closer for a tighter fit.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:20 PM

Thanks. I'll look into that and try it out.