General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Issue with headlights and turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:44 AM
Default Issue with headlights and turn signals

Ok so, I bought my 79 camaro from a guy back in january and I found that my left side turn signals dont work. So I went and bought a pair of 1157 replacement bulbs and started to install them. I opened up the right side front turn signal and found the original wrapping paper from the factory still around it but went ahead and replaced the bulb anyways. I then opened the left side front signal and did not find any wrapping paper. I replaced the bulb and put it back together. Then I went to drive and my friend who I was following told me my right headlight was out so I pulled over and checked it out. The left signal light had also gone out. I hit the brights to see if that worked and the right headlight lit up,but went out when I turned off the brights.

All 4 front facing lights had worked the day before except the flashing part of the left signal. I fiddled with it a bit more and found that the socket for the left signal makes a bad connection with the bulb for whatever reason. Also my dash light for my left signal is constantly illuminated now when I turn the lights on. I am wondering how a simple thing as changing the turn signal bulb could make the opposite side headlight not work when it worked just the night before. Any help or insight is much appreciated.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:29 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

check all the grounds, plugs, and sockets for corrosion. clean as needed, and replace the bulbs as needed. with such an old car, i would replace every bulb and see what you have from there. as with the left turn indicator, is it on all the time, or only when you have it to signal left? does the rear flash? if not, replace the flasher. they go bad as well

Old 03-14-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by microkid
check all the grounds, plugs, and sockets for corrosion. clean as needed, and replace the bulbs as needed. with such an old car, i would replace every bulb and see what you have from there. as with the left turn indicator, is it on all the time, or only when you have it to signal left? does the rear flash? if not, replace the flasher. they go bad as well
The front left blinker only turns on when I push down the switch and it doesnt flash. The rear left blinker does nothing at all, even with hazards on. But when the lights are on, the blinker does not turn on with the other lights. I hope that makes sense haha