General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

installing camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 09:20 PM
Default installing camshaft

when i install my cam- lunati 480 lift 292 duration do i have to advance the timing. sbc 350 stock length push rods. i new to this take it easy. thanx!

Old 03-20-2006, 11:39 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: installing camshaft

I am assuming you are talking about cam timing. Install the cam in the stock position, no need to mess with timing till you test the engine & see what it needs. You will also need adjustable cam gears if you are going to change the cam timing.

If the cam is from a billet, the stock puh rods will most likely be OK. If the cam is a regrind, then the base circle will be smaller than stock and you will have to get longer push rods. There are adjustable push rods sold to be used to meaasure the proper lenght. If you are going to use roller tip rockers, or solid lifters, push rod length is very important as you don't want the roller tip to slide off the valve stem.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:24 PM
4th Gear Member

Good advice Pete

Old 03-21-2006, 11:27 PM
2nd Gear member

with a cam that has a duration that high, i would prefer you retard your timing very slightly, but overall do what makes your engine run better. im going to assume you have a dual plane manifold, i would recommend buying the edelbrock single plane torker manifold, or holley's x-celerator manifold. they are both low rise single plane manifolds, that will suit that cam well, and give you a more balanced motor. mixing a mid-top end cam with a off idle-mid range manifold restricts your true power potantial. oh yea and buy the way, are you also getting lifters with that cam? when you buy a cam, it is smart to buy new lifters also, along with a timing chain. good luck, youll notice one hell of a difference with that cam.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:57 AM
4th Gear Member

Its a must to get new lifters in a non-roller cam. The lifters wear to the cam lobe.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:13 PM

thanks for thereply guys i put the timing at stock im still building as we type but i have the mew lifters with the cam. as far as the intake i have an edelbrock rpm performer is that ok or what will suit me better if u can get me a part number please. edelbrock please! thanx for all the help its greatly appreciated.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:54 AM
4th Gear Member

What heads are you using?

Old 03-26-2006, 09:57 PM

i have the stock heads done- valve seats cut and springs put in. im gonna port and polish my self. any suggestions?

Old 03-27-2006, 11:26 AM
4th Gear Member

Keep that performer RPM then, if you a good set of aftermarket heads I would say get a single plane but not with your stock heads. If you are going to port them yourself be sure and do as much research as you can. It's very easy to ruin a set of heads. The best advice I can give when it comes to porting is, less is more. In other words don't go crazy, and try to reshape anything, the goal is to smooth things out and blend, not make things bigger.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:00 PM

thanx for the info i will research that before i start. does the port and polishgive u more power and how much approx?

Quick Reply: installing camshaft