General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ignition lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 03:31 PM
Default ignition lock

Hi, my ignition lock on my '74 Camaro is broke. I can start the car without the key now. I removed the steering wheel and I just removed the turn light electrics. I put the ignition switch in the locked position, so the steering lock is on. How can I remove the ignition lock cilinder?

Old 02-19-2006, 09:28 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: ignition lock

with the steering wheel off and the turn signal mechinism out of the way,you have to put the ignition in the on position,take a little thin screw driver ,look for the locking tab on the very end of the ignition,there should be a small hole in the steering column housing,you should be able to move the ignition in and out enough to see what i'm talking about,once you get past the locking tab,look alittle more to your right and you will see another hole and in that hole there is another locking tab,push up on it with the screwdriver and it should come right out,it really helps if you have another ignition on hand to see what i'm talking about.i just got done working on mine

Old 02-20-2006, 01:23 PM

I'm having a similar problem. I want to remove my cylinder lock, but I bought a tilt column and it came with no keys. How can I get my cylinder out without having a key? Thanks for your input.

Old 02-20-2006, 02:08 PM

I just ordered one by Classic Industries. What happens when I remove the three screws that hold a metal plate, isn't easyer to remove that so I can maybe remove the lock that way, supose you have to renew the electrics or mechanism of the turn signal assembly... I've got the Hayes book, are their any other detailed manuals?

Old 02-20-2006, 03:26 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i got the same book and it dosent show nothing ,that book is worthless as far as i'm concerned.if you got the the metal plate,heavy spring and snap ring out of the way,then take off the turn signal mechanism you should be able to see what i was talking about earlier.i dont know of any other book that you can look at to help except maybe a service manual and they cost alot more than the haynes book might be worth looking into,get in touch with your local chevrolet dealer about that.

Old 02-20-2006, 03:34 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

skzcamaro,the ignition has to be in the on position for you to get ignition out.with the key in the off position the locking tabs or locked ,with the ignition in the on position the locking tabs release and your able to press them in so you can get the ignition out.if i was a professional thief i could probably tell some other way to get it out but i'm a shadetree mechanic and i can only tell you how i done it (LOL). sorry i cant help you out any better than that,good luck

Old 02-21-2006, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the info Bowtie guy. I am hoping that there is someone out there to help me. I was told to jam a screw driver into the Ign assembly and force it into the on position. But I don't like the sounds of the one and I do not want to ruin the column. Thanks for your help though.