General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How To Powder Coat

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default How To Powder Coat

I was asked how to powder coat so I thought I would post some info here.

The only real special hardware you need is this.
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-30-p...tem-94244.html
They run it on sale for 59.99. You can get one at Eastwood.com also.
You will need an Oven that go to 425 deg, I am limited to 110V so I picked up a large toaster over at a yard sale for 3 buck. No gas ovens they will explode. Once you use a over for this you should never use it for food again. There is no cleaning it out. DONT use your parents oven!
Optional: I use baker’s thermometer in the over so I am sure of the temp and an egg timer.

The process is pretty simple. You need bare Steel/Aluminum. Sandblasting works great wire wheel or sandpaper will work also. You need to make sure the part is paint free and it needs tooth. That means scuff marks something the plastic powder can grab. You should not powder coat a polished surface. It will crack while it is curing.
One thing I do that is not in the normal process I heat up the part to 250-300 in the oven after its been clean but before I spray the powder. If there is any chemicals in the metal this will allow them to out gas before you coat the part. If you trap these chemicals you will bubble up while the part cures.

You connect the ground wire to what you are powder coating.
With low air pressure (I think I use 15 psi) and about 2-3 ounces of powder in the gun will make a nice mist of powder. The gun also puts a static charge in the powder the part is ground so the powder is attached. Don't get between the gun and the ground you will get zapped
The only real thought is how to stage the part. Gravity is you friend. Any vertical surface will come out nice the flat surfaces tend to be uneven. This is why hanging is preferred over just laying it down.
Once you got your even coat cook it up. Alway follow the direction of the powder you are spraying for cooking temp and time. General rule is 400-425 to 10-12 minutes

Good site you get powder, that is a lot of colors: http://www.roseyspowdercoating.com/
Here is a sample of Rosey’s extream Chrome before it was cooked but after I applied the powder
Name:  IMG00003.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  76.8 KB

This is after it was baked for 425 degs for 10 minutes
Name:  IMG00008.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  86.6 KB

Last edited by Gorn; 03-05-2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Updated link
Old 01-30-2009, 09:36 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I found a pic of my Oven at work. If this POS oven can do it anyone can.

Name:  Oven.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  85.8 KB

I think I paid 3 dollars for it.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-05-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

This is helpful as I have been interested in doing some powder myself.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:17 AM
2nd Gear member

STICKY???

thats some pretty usefull info

Old 08-04-2009, 04:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by c4maro
STICKY???

thats some pretty usefull info
+1 thats some great info

Old 08-04-2009, 10:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the infor brother. I know some shops that have big ovens so they can do a lot of parts at once. My question to you is I build pre '49 hot rods and what do you think about doing some hot rod bodies in powder coat???

Old 08-23-2009, 08:26 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by MitchellDeMoor
Thanks for the infor brother. I know some shops that have big ovens so they can do a lot of parts at once. My question to you is I build pre '49 hot rods and what do you think about doing some hot rod bodies in powder coat???
You would never get the shine you would want. Not unless it possible to level and polish the product after it cured.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

for the love of camaro's sticky this thread! its very useful, i have been wanting to get some parts painted but powder coating would be much better. This just made me decide that im going powder coating! awesome info!