General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How bad is it . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default How bad is it . . .

. . . to do a burnout in a automatic by going on a inclined hill, shifting into N, rolling down, shifting back into D and putting the pedal on the floor? Because I did it yesterday for the first time in my car and I was thinking how bad it might be for the tranny & etc...

I would never do a neutral-drop (rev in N, switch to D and push it), but is what I said above equally as bad?

Also another side question, I just bought my car and I notice whenever I switch into R, it doesn't seem so smooth, like it pops a little, but runs fine... should I look out for a problem?

Old 04-17-2008, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: How bad is it . . .

Its basically just as bad or worse seeing how you're moving backwards already. And you wonder why you hear strangew sounds.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:06 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

if your gonna do burnouts then dont do it down a hill or anything like that just step on the brakes..then step on the gas a little once you feel it start to spin juuuust a little mash the gas....though still not great for the car....

Old 04-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, that's bad for the car. In a sense, you're doing what we used to call a reverse-hook, or candy-cane. Start out driving in reverse, and put it in drive while still going backwards. Then when you feel the trans grab, mash the gas to the floor. You wind up with a nifty, fish hook or candy-cane shaped black patch on the pavement. Don't do that any more. Your car, mostly the rearend, won't last long. If you hear a clunk in the rear now when shifting from reverse to drive (with the car sitting still), then you have excessive diff. play which is more than likely from the p.o. beating on the car too.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Fortee

Its basically just as bad or worse seeing how you're moving backwards already. And you wonder why you hear strangew sounds.
Try to read closer next time please. It was that way when I got the car.

I'll do some tests with your advice nic.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Tech Droid

ORIGINAL: MrBlonde

. . . to do a burnout in a automatic by going on a inclined hill, shifting into N, rolling down, shifting back into D and putting the pedal on the floor? Because I did it yesterday for the first time in my car and I was thinking how bad it might be for the tranny & etc...

I would never do a neutral-drop (rev in N, switch to D and push it), but is what I said above equally as bad?

Also another side question, I just bought my car and I notice whenever I switch into R, it doesn't seem so smooth, like it pops a little, but runs fine... should I look out for a problem?
Keep doing what you are doing, and you won't have to worry about the transmission being rough. LOL

Old 04-20-2008, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: z28pete

ORIGINAL: MrBlonde

Keep doing what you are doing, and you won't have to worry about the transmission being rough. LOL
Or just keep it in park, rev it up to about 4000rpm, then from the park position simply slam it into drive. Your burnout should last atleast 1 second before the trany detonates, and then you will have a smokeoutalong with your burnout.
And my wife wonders why the trany inour Toyota Camary sounds like a popcorn maker.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:15 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Just because your car can do a burnout doesnt mean it should. Check your tranny fluid, sounds like it might be low. If not, it could be a simple adjustment. Or a complicated adjustment - just kinda depends.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

JK with last post. This kit (or one for your application) should help to save your trany along with other parts.
http://www.jegs.com/p/SLP/757052/10002/-1/10159