General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help on a bypass-surgeon needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default help on a bypass-surgeon needed

my 88 v6 -well the previous owner has taken off the air pump/control valve and bypassed the heater core-there is three hook-ups(coolant) and a vacuum line- the bottom coolant linehas a y on it---they put a nice sturdy pulley where the pump used to be--can anyone show me a diagram on how to rehook-up so i can have a heater(hoping the h. core is good)am i thinking right can i just hook up to the water pump and plug one outlet on that bottom y or????would really appreciate some help!!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: help on a bypass-surgeon needed

One outlet of the Y pipe goes to the radiator.. Then there is the water pump line and a line coming off the intake.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

mad mike---let me try again-everything is still hooked up to the core at the firewall---never heard of a heater hose going to the rad.---but???naw---anyone else getwhat im trying to do???maybe the top hose to the pump--the bottom to the intake under the throttle body and cap the ythat comes off the bottom___is there a flow direction ?plug the vacuum line that goes to the non existant air pup/control valve?? help im trying to get up and running for a camp trip

Old 06-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: wesgmc

mad mike---let me try again-everything is still hooked up to the core at the firewall---never heard of a heater hose going to the rad.---but???naw---anyone else getwhat im trying to do???maybe the top hose to the pump--the bottom to the intake under the throttle body and cap the ythat comes off the bottom___is there a flow direction ?plug the vacuum line that goes to the non existant air pup/control valve?? help im trying to get up and running for a camp trip
Just because you never heard of it does not mean it is not true. I have a Camaro with the hoses hooked up. You don't!

Now I am done with you

Old 06-24-2007, 03:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks mad mike-----

Old 06-24-2007, 04:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok mad mikes car has the hoses attached and yes way cool of him to show picts--but i am still trying to figureout a way to hook up my heater core to what i have(or dont have)--has anyonebypassed the air pump/-valve---dad and i are trying to figure this thing out--we dont know what problems we will have without that system --im thinking that the previous owner just bypassed the system when the pump when bad-we have no emmision check here--im hoping the heater core is good---ideas anyone????

Old 06-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Overdrive Member

Well what are you working on? The air pump or the heater? Two different things. If its the heater core. then just hook up the hoses coming from the water pump and the intake manifold to the heater core. Early S10 don't have that valve. That just cuts off hot water so the AC cools beter inside. And it has nothing to do with emissions.
If its your air injection. Leave the diverter valves on the exhaust if they are there and cap them off.Thats all the air pump does is pump air into the exhaust.