93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

bypass a/c?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Default bypass a/c?

ok so, my a/c compressor is shot and causing trouble. the clutch or what ever you want to call it on the compressor wont release causing it togrind and its making the car act funny when trying to drive

now could i just get a smaller belt to bypass the compressor totally? if so any one know what belt (brand and part #) i would need?

i dont use the a/c anyways so sometime this summer i will just end up yanking it all out

Old 05-04-2008, 07:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: bypass a/c?

ORIGINAL: MI_camaro_98

ok so, my a/c compressor is shot and causing trouble. the clutch or what ever you want to call it on the compressor wont release causing it togrind and its making the car act funny when trying to drive

now could i just get a smaller belt to bypass the compressor totally? if so any one know what belt (brand and part #) i would need?

i dont use the a/c anyways so sometime this summer i will just end up yanking it all out
just get a piece of rope and wrap it around the the pulleys and take it to advance auto or wherever you go and match it up with anew belt.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:46 PM

thats what i was gonna do but i dont know what way to route it, i need it to hit everything except the a/c (obviously) and i can see 3-4 different ways to run it.

i dont know what way would be the best or if they would even work, so i was hoping that if anybody has done it if the could show me how they routed it

Old 05-04-2008, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

[align=left]AC Delete:[/align][align=left]Just like this says, this mod will remove your air conditioning system. The kit usually includes an idler pulley which will take the place of the air conditioner unit pulley. This frees up a little hp. However, you will not have air conditioning anymore (obviously). Also, your defroster wont work as well because it uses the AC system to remove humidity. The part may or may not require a new serpentine belt size.[/align][align=left][/align]
This was taken from SpecterGT260's topic titled: " Basic Modifications Tech - Where to Start Modding"

Judging on what it says, I assume theres a kit you can buy, which will bypass the A/C, and replace it with the pulley shown above.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Ninja Administrator

the best way is to get a pulley like posted above (thanks for plugging my write up )

otherwise you can run into issues, i dont know what the pulley config is for the v6, but if you dont have an idler pulley there in some cases the belt may rub somewhere it shouldnt even if u get the right size. the little pulley is pretty cheap and maintains the belts geometry.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:24 PM

specter, do you have a link for it?

Old 05-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Ninja Administrator

i couldnt find a v6 ac delete. if the pulley is the same you could buy a v8 one, but i dont know if this works

Old 05-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: MI_camaro_98

specter, do you have a link for it?
http://www.ftpp.net/V6Main.htm

Then click on External Engine, then click A/C delete brackets.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:47 PM

all they have is brackets for the 3.4

Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Quick Reply: bypass a/c?