General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Getting Started (Numerous Questions!!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Default Getting Started (Numerous Questions!!)

Hey everyone, Ive already warned people about my "newbie" experience in my introductory post in the new members section. But I have aquired a 1991 Camaro, I dont know whether it is a Z28 or RS, it has Z28 badges and all, but has a RS style spoiler, and the speedometer only goes to 110. But that all dosent really matter because the engine is swapped out for a chevy 383. I want to get a list of things to do to the car that would help it preformance-wise, and I have a couple of questions, so please bear with me, and dont give me too much crap!!

1. Ive been told that i have a standard "exaust manifold"? i dunno, but i think you can replace them with headers....are they worth the money? I know they make your car super loud, but how much of a horsepower gain do they typically give? (Please include the brands and models)

2. My car tends to spin the tires fairly easily, and ive heard that you can buy different "gear ratios" for your car, to give it more torque, and REALLY get some accelleration, instead of just peeling out all the time. Or is this at all possible, or some other solution.

3. Superchargers. How much risk is there to them? what kind of horse power gain can i expect to get? please include the brands and models that can correspond with my specific car.

I have some more questions, but ill save them for later, after these get answered

Old 09-07-2007, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Getting Started (Numerous Questions!!)

number 1 yes headers well make ur car louder BUT more of the sound is going to depend on the muffler u get then the headers, the hp power will very depending on shot headers or long tube as the exshust wil come into play as well with hp. but most headers r good for about 15 hp. u may have headers already if u have a 383 it would b a waste to keep stock maifolds if u have a 383, try taken a pic and posting it and one of us could tell u.

Number 2 As for traction do u have an auto or stick?? do u st race or track race or both?? gears may help traction but u would b better starting with tires, what size and brand do u have on now? u will problly want to go wider tires and think about drog radials. also if u have a stick try engaing clutch at a lower rpm..

Number 3 super chargers can gain u up 50% of u current hp but i ould wait before u go spending 2,000 plus on a supercharge till u know what u want what u can handle and i would lean more about ur car first b4 u jump in with th big boys on that.

well i hoped i have help ya out abit i am sure more people ill tone in later on this but rember these r just r opions u need to figure on ur own what u want to do and what will work best for u, and there will b some trail and error cause hat works great for me may not work great u..

Old 09-07-2007, 06:17 PM

thanks a lot man, your advice is greatly appreciated, i will take it into serious consideration. The car is an automatic and has Nangkang ultrasport ns-2 Z tires. I would mostly street race, but may take it to the track occasionally, to see how the preformace upgrades do.

as for the engine, here are some pics, hopefully you can see around the engine, and take a look what ive got...haha its not really pretty, but it does it's job.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9735/124BB24363B7442A956758EF8C02EFE1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9735/E40177868A9B4500889608C876387208.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9735/377E13F18C8C466898F636B4735CDA03.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-08-2007, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member

well i would suggest going with a larger wheel like a 16 or 17in then going with some drag radils right there wheel change ur gears in the back with out changing the actual gears plus with the drags u will get better traction may not be perfect but u wil get less spin and better grip...

As for headers u r right u have stock manifolds headers i would look at going long tube headers with a x pipe and true duals but that is just me,, i love the sound and beleave in the hp it makes.. it looks like u have good good place to start but looking at the pics i would ? the 383 cause u seem to have alot of factory still on ur car and i would think making it a 383 and leaving stock intake and exshust and heads from what i can c is just a waste of money...

P/S i like the air horn LOL

Old 09-09-2007, 08:18 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I agree with the above post. Are you sure its a 383? What are the casting numbers? Can you get a picture of the rear of the motor, with the distributor in the pic?

Old 09-09-2007, 08:21 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Bye the way..... Get rid of the exhaust manifold and go with headers, replace the cat and muffler as well, hi-flo stuff works good. Upgrade your intake. You want your engine to breath better - easiest mods. If it is a 383 there already might be some stuff done to it internally. Get those numbers up and better pics and we could give you more info.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:23 PM

Alrighty, ill look into long tube headers...should i use hooker headers and can you put a flowmaster or magnaflow muffler on it? also, i see on other people's sigs that list their upgrades, what is a cat-back? i believe it has to do something with the cat converter but what exactly? as for the intake, is it as simple as getting like K&N filters, becasue you cant find my engine on there, since it isnt stock.

maybe something like this, for the filter on top?

as well as, how can i get the casting numbers, also, which is the rear of the engine, and how do you take a pic of it

oh and the air horn is fun.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9735/94E1DEB2882042FDAF1099E12B0CF019.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Overdrive Member

Catback exhausts replace from your catalytic converter all the way back to the exhaust tips. Yes, you can put any type of muffler you desire on there. You can get a K&N.. If you want the K&N, just go up to the auto parts store, take out your old one and have them get you another that same size. I don't think you can get the one in the picture, as it looks as though some things tie in with your stock housing. Maybe someone else can tellyou.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:05 AM

where can i get the casting numbers, and how am i going to take a pic of it? cplthomas said the "rear" of the engine, but how am i gonna take a pic of it? lol

Old 09-10-2007, 06:17 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

You should be able to see it as you look through the opening that occures between the hood and cowl when the hood is opened. Really I just wanted to see the distributor. Also there should be some numbers cast into the block, forward of the passanger side valve cover. Also get yourself a chiltons manual.