General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Getting that, not quite new, shine

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Default Getting that, not quite new, shine

Hey guy, I'm Matt and it's my first post andI look forward to everything I can learn from you guys.
I'm 16 and I dont have a Camaro just yet, but I'm getting a reasonablygood condition '69Camaro in a few months.

When I get my Camaro, I really wont have enough money to start buying all sorts of performance parts, but I will do detail work on the exterior, but I dont want people to ask to look under the hood and then they see a dirty old engine.

So I want to clean up everything under the hood and get it looking nice but without doing an entire engine rebuild. I plan on replacing many of the lines and hoses with some nice gunmetal blackand chromestuff, and tidy it all up (I dont want a big mess of spaghetti under the hood).

But in the end... all eyes are on the engine. I'm not sure I want it all chromed out, a nice clean silver but it doesnt have to be a mirror, and I want to keep most parts original, so I was wondering how I could make all those old engine parts (exterior anyway) look pretty 'fresh' again. Id consider buying new valve/ head covers because thats pretty cheap but a new block is out of the question, soI want to make due with whatI have.

CanI sandblast it or something, I really dont know too much about polishing. The thing is I'd like to do all this without having to remove the engine. Mabye nearby parts and stuff but thats about it.

Thanks for your help,

-Matt