General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Default fuel injectors

i have a 86 camaro 2.8 fuel injected the problem is left bank fuel injectors not working. engine running on 3 cylinders on right side any ideas what the problem is is it ECM is there a relay or anything else that might effect injectors ..how do you cheak injectors to make sure they are working i put a light tester to both wires on one injector and they both read + if i unplug injector on right side car will stall if i unplug injector on left side nothing changes

Old 05-15-2007, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: fuel injectors

I may be wrong, But, I suspect an injector harness fault. The injectors are hot all the time and the ECM controls the ground side. I think on that system the left and right bank are controlled seperately, but the injectors are wired series with a common ground lead, something like that, as I said I don't know the setup real well. I just know a little on how to check them. All my **** is either carbed or TBI. You probably have a short to ground or an open somewhere in the left side harness. A test light won't help you find it, all it tells you is that you have potential voltage. You need a digital volt ohm meter, cause you'll need to check voltage and resistance checks on the circuit. hopefully someone who knows abit more will chime in, until then, I hope that helps.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Overdrive Member

One bad injector will kill the whole side. Chances are you have one or more bad on that side.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Mike nailed it.

The injectors on the 2.8 should ohm out to about 12 ohms. Once they start going bad you'll see them down around 5 ohms. Usually at about 10 ohms problems start, not so noticable though.

You can usually disconnect the harness that feeds both sides and ohm out each rail with three injectors per side hooked up and should see about 4 ohms(if my math is right ) total for the three combined, anything lower then 4 you've got issues. Anyway, test both sides, lower number is your bad side and focus there.

What is happening is the shorted injector is causing the ECM to shut down that bank of injectors to keep itself from burning up and failing.

Pop the plenum, ohm each injector and you'll find your bad one. If you need new and want all six check lindertech.com, they've got a upgrade for the older 2.8 injectors that does improve the quality.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:16 PM

thank you for your input i put left side fuel injectors in right side and car runs no problem with those injectors still only on right side must be wiring any ideas where to cheak harness the section under multi port? where else . any serton ground i should cheak . can i get computer cheaked to see if thats the problem . what controls timing for injectors ?? distribuator i better tell how all started ...weather related to it or not went through flooded parking lot and got water in my engine through airbox sucked it in enough water to kill engine + fill cylinders stop from turning over cleared system started up ran for 2-3 days no problems that i was aware of used oldair filters untill new ones i got a few days before this happened dryed out when car started to run like **** cheaked oil for water there wassome in it flushed motor did compression test( good)-150-160 all 6 no crack in head or cylinder no water in oil now or in cylinder getting fuel to rail good spark either ecm or bad ground wire

Old 05-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Tech Droid

There is a 10 AMP fuse for each bank of injectors. Have you checked the fuses out?

Old 05-18-2007, 07:12 AM
1st Gear Member

So all the injectors Ohmed ok? I know you switched them side to side, but what did they ohm out at?

The harness should have a spot where it disconnects. You can ohm the harness from that disconnect to the injector connectors themselves.

After that, pull the ECM and you can ohm check from the ECM to the harness.

My guess right now if you don't have a wiring issue on the injector harness, all injectors ohm ok, you may have a ECM with a fried driver inside it.