General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

fuel injector cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Overdrive Member
Default fuel injector cleaner

whats the best fuel injector cleaner ? or the best way to clean a clogged injector ?

Old 11-14-2007, 08:21 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: fuel injector cleaner

[&:] the best injector cleaner is motorvac or other autoshop injector cleaner. i know this costs a few $$$ but is money well spent. the stuff in a bottle that you buy at the local auto parts place has a negligable effect on actually cleaning the injector. you could send them out for a rebuild if cleaning them proves to not rectify your problem and youve verified its an injector problem. these are the only two ways ive found to truly clean an injector kurt

Old 11-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Overdrive Member

so theres nothing in a bottle that i can pour that will work ?

Old 11-14-2007, 09:31 PM

You can try Lucas oil fuel system treatment. Jiffy Lube/Grease Monkey shops that specialize in oil changes have a vaccuum fed fuel system cleaner. Works really well to get a bunch of carbon off the valves, pistons and injectors. You can see and smell it work its way out the tail pipe. Really narly stuff.
If you use the fuel tank treatment stuff, they want you to keep using it again and again, its just a waste.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Tech Droid

If it is totally clogged the stuff you pour in the tank won't work, and it will need professional cleaning.Otherwise put in 3 or 4 cans of Techron in a full tank of gas and it should clear the partially clogged injectors by the time the fuel is burned up.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:05 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I just went through a bad injector issue with our cavalier, different car but same concept. I traced the problem to a bad injector, so I bought a new one at the parts store. Engine ran fine at high speed, but idled like crap. A mechanic I know said his experience with injectors is to use only GM replacements (if replacing only one). A little FYI: aftermarket ones aren't perfectly matched to OEM's and will run either a tad richer or leaner than the others. Thecomputer will try to compensate and it winds up messing everything up, which is just what happened. I thought for the hell of it then, I'll try soaking the old one in carb cleaner. So I sprayed alot of carb cleaner in a small container,let the injector soak for 5-10 minutes, swooshed it around a bit, then put it back in the rail. Engine ran great after that! Obviously it was just gummed up and was stuck, and the carb cleaner instantly did the trick.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:58 AM
Overdrive Member

is it possible for a injector(s) to be louder to compensate for more air going into/exiting the engine that the computer is unaware of ?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:55 AM
Overdrive Member

What do you mean by louder?

Old 11-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Overdrive Member

like i can hear one ticking louder than normal, but i dont think its clogged cause i havent lost performance and its not running rich at all

Old 11-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Tech Droid

An injector noisier than the rest is probably going bad or has already done so. The injector itself is not capable of compensating for anything, its operation is totally under the control of the PCM.

Quick Reply: fuel injector cleaner