General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Front blinkers keep burning out WTF

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Default Front blinkers keep burning out WTF

Ok, something tells me that ive got an electrical problem but here's the breakdown.

When i first got my camaro, my fuel pump went out suddenly. Had it replaced, 845miles later that fuel pump went out. I suppose that DOA could have been a option but I figured i'd throw that in there.

Second, I have a "mysterious" power drain. No matter if its 1 day or 1 week when i start my camaro the voltage goes way up charging for at least 10-15min of drive time. This possibly killed a Optima redtop about 2 months ago, since then I have changed the battery to ANOTHER redtop, voltage still is on heavy charge every time i start but never goes completely dead like before. I had my mechanic go through it as much as he could, checked my system, my amp, interior lights everything. He said that my interior power control module was probably bad but havnt had the chance to replace it yet.

Ok here's my oddest problem, no matter what ive tried I cant get my front blinker bulbs to last longer than a couple of drives. Originally when i took them out the sockets were totally torched and had the wrong bulbs in them. I went to a junk yard and got 2 new ones off of a 2000 (mines an 02) and wired them up. At first only one worked, the other one just stayed on constant, but i wiggled the blinker relay and they started working. About 2 10-20min drives later the driver side had burned out completely. Another drive or two (dont know exactly when) the other one had gone out too.

The rear blinkers never go out, and have worked fine since i had the car, its always the front ones without fail. WTF!!? Is it that module? Or do i have road gremlins, or blinker vampires, or that interior power module causing it or what. I mean why not the rear ones? Its really really pissing me off cause it doesnt make sense

Old 11-11-2009, 03:22 PM
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

man that sux. But yeah it sounds like you may have an electrical issue that could be anywhere. I would try though putting a regular battery (not an optima) and seeing what happens. I have heard that some people...very very few but SOME people had weird issues after installing optimas. I would just get a different alternator with a bit more amps.

So try the battery change first and see what happens.

Last edited by Zoilus; 11-11-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:38 PM
4th Gear Member

If you have a volt meter, check to see what the voltage is in the sockets when the blinkers are on.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Tech Droid

The overvoltage is most likely the cause of things burning out. The only thing that can produce high voltage is the alternator. The alternator has a internal voltage regulalator that is controlled by the PCM. Bad battery and ground connections, including the grounding of the PCM and alternator can confuse the PCM and cause the voltage regulator to work funny. Also, the small red wire from the alternator to the PCM is the control wire, and if that gets grounded, shorted, or goes open, the PCM loses control of the alternator output. Get the alternator tested, and if looks OK, connect a voltmeter across the battery, run the engine & start wiggling wires and things, and see if the voltage changes.

Last edited by z28pete; 11-12-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Do you have any added electrical components in the car that aren't stock? Often, when people start throwing in new radios, big speaker boxes, flashy lights, etc., they end up messing up the electrical system.

The first thing I'd check is the wiring harness leading from the fuse box to the blinkers. Also, since you mentioned wiggling the relay helped, I'd check the connections inside the fuse box. You can lift the box out and wiggle each connector going into the bottom side. You might even need a new relay.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hi im a noob and really don't know much but i remember reading a story about a ford explorer that kept burning out light bulbs because of an overcharging alternator so I'd reccommend looking at or having a mechanic check it out to start.