General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

electrical problems...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Default electrical problems...HELP

Hello. Lately I've been having several problems with my '96 Convertible with a v6 in it. I took it to the dealer and they said it will cost near $200 just to diagnose it! So I'm wondering if any of you out there might know what is wrong and if so is there anything I might be able to fix? Problems are as follows:

1) My LEFT turn signal sometimes doesn't work. The green arrow in the dash stays lit and my front signal marker stays lit, but my rear light doesn't light at all (look as if my bulbs were burnt out) and it doesn't blink. However, its not the bulbs because sometimes this signal works fine. I'd say it functions properly maybe 40% of the time. Has to be some wiring/electrical glitch???

2) I had new brake pads and calipers put on a month or two ago and now my ABS INOP light stays lit all the time and never goes off.

3) Just this past week my driver's side power window isn't working right. Sometimes it goes up and down fine. Sometimes it goes really slowly and stops, and other times it just is completely unresponsive. When it doesnt move at all I hear some sort of noice coming from under the dashboard (like, above where the pedals are).

Any help is greatly appreciated. I did check the fuses and can't find any blown ones. Thanks

Old 10-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: electrical problems...HELP

1) Try changing the rear bulbs that don't want to flash. The filaments can break and then the ends make intermittent contact with themselves or other filaments because of car vibrations, and cause weird symptoms The bulbs are no more than $2.00 each and easy to change.

2) There is a possibility that you may have damaged one of the ABS sensor cables when you replaced the pads. However, this is just a SWAG, and it would be a good idea to get the ABS scanned & see what it is complaining about. Cheaper than replacing good parts for no reason. Also, you may want to take a good look at the center mouned brake lights. For some reason it is part of the ABS system, and burned out bulbs cause the ABS light to go on.

3) The window either has a bad motor, wiring problems, or the window regulator mechanism is damaged or needs a good lube job. The noise under the dash is caused by the window control module attempting to get the window moving. In any event, you need to remove the inside door panel & see what is going on.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:26 AM
Overdrive Member

All good answers Pete
But another thing to check on the turn signals if the bulb is good. The multi function (blinker switch) can go bad and do this. I had an 84 that had the front signal doing the same thing. Good bulb, works once in a while, acted as if a bad bulb or socket. It turned out to be a wire broke from the switch and would make contact once in a while. The car had tilt column so as it tilts the wires move a little.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I switched out the bulb in my rear brake/turn light and it hasn't messed up since. So I'm pretty sure its fixed because it would've screwed up at least a few times by now. Which is a big relief. The ABS light and window motor I think are a little beyond me and I'll probably take it to a shop (NOT a dealer!). I don't think the power motor is bad because I just switched it out last spring because it went bad.