General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Electrical issues...so confused!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 11:17 AM
Default Electrical issues...so confused!

So here's my problem...I have a 94 camaro that wants to start sometimes and doesn't want to start other times. She's been sitting for about two months or so since she was last driven for any length of time. We will go and try to start her, she'll try to turn over and is mostly successful but if we turn her off and try to start her again we get ABSOLUTELY nothing. No lights, no beeps, no clicks....nothin'. Previously we could disconnect the negative cable going to the battery, reconnect it and she would start so I replaced the negative battery cable. After replacing that cable she started several times in a row so we thought the problem was fixed. Next morning I went to try to start the car and it started once then nothing.

We are looking for any ideas on this since we are looking at making a long distance drive with her in the near future and need her running.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-09-2017, 03:26 PM
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the Club.
You might further your defenses by removing the battery cables at both ends and cleaning cable terminals and the places they touch with a wire brush and reconnect.
Ensure the alternator and its wiring is good mechanical condition also so it can recharge the battery.
And externally recharge battery, doesn't hurt.
Belt in good shape? they are cheap enough to replace and out the one taken off with the spare tire for a road fix.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:34 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like ignition module could be the culprit. It's down on the steering column, cost about $40 bucks or so, takes about 20 mins to change out. If that's not it then it could be your keys, if the chip wears down enough then it doesn't make contact and won't start. Or the ignition switch itself could be going on you.