General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cylinder 6 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 01:17 AM
Default cylinder 6 misfire

I have a 96 v6 3.8 camaro..... I have recentlyreplaced the spark plugs.... wires.... fuel filter..... air filter.... radiator..... changed oil.... I notice a loss in power about 2 months ago..... then had a check engine light come on that was read to be a random misfire... so i did a tune up... check engine light went off..... still noticed a slight loss in power occassionally while on an incline.... a week ago i was driving and the thing really started acting up.... like it didnt want to go..kind of sputtering if you will.. and the check engine light start blinking on and off constantly.... i had the code read today and it said misfire cylinder 6..... ive checked all the coil packs and they seem to be sparking..... im going to check the plug wire tomorrow.... any ideas on what else this might be??? Im a real do it myselfer..... I start school in January to become an Automotive Tech.... and Id really hate to take it to the shop.... (I'm not much on being defeated lol) any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Old 09-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: cylinder 6 misfire

Three things can cause misfire: ignition, fuel delivery, mechanical damage (low or no compression). Make sure you are getting a good spark at cylinder 6, check coil packs and ignition control module under them. Make sure that #6 injector is being fired and if it is, that it actually delivering fuel (Use NOID lites to observe firing pulse from PCM, check resistance of injector coil, swap injector with a know goog one. Check compression on #6 cylinder ( if too low the cylinder will not produce power even though it is gettin fuel and spark.

The computer detects misfire by looking at the acceleration imposed on the crankshaft as each cylider fires, No power pulse=misfire.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:03 AM
2nd Gear member

a friend of mine had the same problem about a month ago and it turned out that 1 of his spark plugs wasnt gapped the right amount. i dont know if u have tried that yet or not, but it was a really simple way for us to fix his misfire

Old 09-08-2008, 08:27 AM

I have had the same problem for 2 years since I have owned my 3.8. Took it to car-x man and they could not find the problem for the 2 days that they had it. I changed the plugs and wires twice within 10,000 miles didnt seem to change. Replaced mas air flo sensor, no change, replaced EGR valve, little change but not much. Spoke to some mechanic frineds and they said an air/fuel mixture compression problem, havent fixed it or figured it out yet since engine diagnostic is pricy and the OBD2 sensor will not help you locate the problem. The OBD said the same for me "misfire in cylinder 6" I think it is a bad fuel injector, but I have also used plenty of fuel injector cleaner and it didn't do anything as well. Not sure about the gap spacing, I tested two and they were good but not all plugs before I put them in, and since replacing them twice in such short distance I wouldnt of thought to check that, I wll check spacing on cylinder 6 when I get a chance, thanks RS96LSU. acadwell11 keep us posted if you find out the problem because I would like mine fixed as well! Thanks :-)

Old 09-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I ran into the same problem last year (not the 69 of course), but it was a random misfire. Even though it was giving me a random code, it was only one cylinder. The one spark plug was black and sooty (running rich). After checking everything else, I narrowed it down to be the injector. Putting injector cleaner in a couple tanks of gas didn't clear it up either. So I pulled the injector, soaked it and swooshed it around in injector/carb cleaner for a while, put it back in, and it ran fine (and still does).