General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

car chugging after ignition is turned off???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: car chugging after ignition is turned off???

Kurt I can't keep trying to explain something to you. Youtake the writen words and must change them around in your head or just don't truley understand them and come up with YOUR OWN understanding of them. You have given you far fetched idea but have not proven your theory as to why timing can not contribute. Make this simple instead of dancing around the truth like you continue to do. Some one must agree with you that timing can not be an issue with run -on so find it and post a link! Scan a page from a book! If your belief that timing can not be a contributing factor then there are others that will agree with that and surley they have posted it on the web. Wether it expland or notI can post more links or pages from a book that will provide evidence that timing can be a contributing factor in deiseling. I have already posted one link with a persons reasons on contributing factors of run on but you have not been able to do anything posting a link to why its not. I know you don't belive me so why should you believe any one else. But I can still post more on my side.
As i stated before this section of some guys posting does absolutely nothing to correlate timing and run on, the other sections of it seem more pertinent and on point
You say the other sections are on except for the one section on timing. Pull that stick out of your *** and open your mind. You just refuse to believe it all because you are a little man and don't want to admit that I am correct.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:13 AM
2nd Gear member

[&:] ahhh grass hopper i grow weary with your ignorance. in my world people generally dont post or write anything when the two subjects are not correlated. a donut really doesnt have anything to do with the price of tea in china and hence nobody has written about it. it all seemed so simple. maybe its the other way around and the magicly appearing excess heat is retarding you!!

Old 10-28-2007, 01:29 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

So, to answer the question. Would it be safe to check thecarb setting AND the timing? You know, just to cover all bases.Actually, looking at this from a completely unbiased approach,you both are articulating your points very well and I am entertained. Making a slow night at work quite exciting.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:01 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: t9ojetpilot

[&:] ahhh grass hopper i grow weary with your ignorance. in my world people generally dont post or write anything when the two subjects are not correlated. a donut really doesnt have anything to do with the price of tea in china and hence nobody has written about it. it all seemed so simple. maybe its the other way around and the magicly appearing excess heat is retarding you!!

What an excuse. But I can find where people will say to check timing. So surely at least on person will have a web page saying that it can not be timing since timing is a popular reason. Kurt you would be the one that would argue with Columbus that the world is still flat.
http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...95/May/13.html
Here is another link that says check timng buddy
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...on.html?page=2
Be sure you read it on page two there pal. I don't think any one could ever explain it to you but there it is as a possible cause.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:07 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: cplthomas

So, to answer the question. Would it be safe to check thecarb setting AND the timing? You know, just to cover all bases.Actually, looking at this from a completely unbiased approach,you both are articulating your points very well and I am entertained. Making a slow night at work quite exciting.
It is a good idea to. I have made simple timing adjustments to eliminate dieseling. But for some reason others (well just one) tend to not believe that it could not be a cause. So I must have done somthing in between hooking up a timing light, loosening the dizzy and turning it.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I second that about the entertainment value of this post! To keep it simple, I have two questions, one with an answer. Q: Can thetiming being off cause an engine to run hotter than normal? A: Yes. Q: Which engine would be more likely to experience run-on? A cooler running engine, or a hotter than normal running engine? A:?

Old 10-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

I second that about the entertainment value of this post! To keep it simple, I have two questions, one with an answer. Q: Can thetiming being off cause an engine to run hotter than normal? A: Yes. Q: Which engine would be more likely to experience run-on? A cooler running engine, or a hotter than normal running engine? A:?
THANK YOU!
The only problem is its unclear to Kurt so you have to explain everthing to him and it still does not get through.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:16 PM

I turned the idle down it stopped dieseling. I checked the timing and its 34* total and 13* initial. Is this were I need to be? I have the idle at 700 in gear. I did notice sometimes after driving around I will put the car in park and the idle will be a couple hundred rpms higher than it should be and eventully will drop to normal afer a few minutes. What could cause this??

Old 10-28-2007, 06:05 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ask kurt lol.i'm not even sure what kind of car i have in my signature anymore.all of this bickering has me confused lol

Old 10-29-2007, 05:36 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

ORIGINAL: Kev79

I turned the idle down it stopped dieseling. I checked the timing and its 34* total and 13* initial. Is this were I need to be? I have the idle at 700 in gear. I did notice sometimes after driving around I will put the car in park and the idle will be a couple hundred rpms higher than it should be and eventully will drop to normal afer a few minutes. What could cause this??
Warming up maybe, choke. just a quick guess.

Quick Reply: car chugging after ignition is turned off???