General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cammed camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:45 PM
2nd Gear member
Default cammed camaro?

what exactly does it mean to cam a camaro, or how do you do it? i know cammed V6's sound pretty good and i was gonna look into it but honestly im not real sure what it means.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Fancy Sparkle
Default RE: cammed camaro?

"camming" means changing out the camshaft for one that has a more aggressive lift and duration. this also will increase power, usually by a good amount (unless you're camming a Honda). the main increase in power is because of the extra air the engine is able to pull in from the longer lift of the cam (causing the valves to open wider than usual) and the longer duration (valves stay open longer than usual).

Old 02-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Ninja Administrator

when most people talk about mods, they will just say the car has been "xxx-ed" replacing the xxx's with the name of the part.

for example, all cars have cams, some in block, some over the head depending on the model. our cars have in block cams or "over head valve". If i were to say my car has been cammed, it means i have replaced the stock cam with a performance one. just like if I were to say my car has gears, or it has been geared, this means i replaced the stock rear-end gears with aftermarket ones. cars cannot run without these parts, so all cars have them (gears are specific to rwd of course), but when we say "ya, shes got a cam in her" that roughly translates from hillbilly into "aftermarket" [8D]

Old 02-04-2008, 02:52 PM
2nd Gear member

gotcha gotcha. thanks. so any recomindations on bettercamshafts? anyone whos done it?

Old 02-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Ninja Administrator

im in the process of putting a tsp TqV2 in my car 232/234 .595/.598" 113lsa. its a larger cam, but not huge. depends on what u want out of the car.

if u want something to give u good performance in a car that behaves about the same as it did stock, just faster, go with something like a 224/224, i think thunder racing makes one.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:30 PM
2nd Gear member

couldnt find a 224/224 but ill keep looking. but how does this sound-

Comp Cams Hydraulic RollerCamshaft,200 / 206, .496 / .480112 LSA, For GM 3800 V6 engines, strong performance cam,naturally aspirated, daily usage.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:18 PM
2nd Gear member

ha nvm found one -

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...6&catid=44

and would this be an example of an "choppy idle?-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4kS0...eature=related

Old 02-04-2008, 10:14 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] specter remember although front drive cars are not in the rear drive configuration as we think of them they still have a differential and gears its just all one piece with the transmission and like all auto parts they can be changed for a more desirable set if need be. CAMARO DUDE please dont think you can just CAM your car and *poof *instant power. Ive discussed this more here on this site than i can remember but the cam is but one part of the air pump we call a motor and changing only one part may not get the results we expected. this is very true with new computer controlled cars without considering the whole package and altering other parts you WILL only cause yourself grief and lots of money will be wasted. to change a cam in a newer car you will need to spend a couple thousand for the accompanying parts. if you dont you will melt catalytic converters, ruin engines etc kurt

Old 02-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Fancy Sparkle

ORIGINAL: t9ojetpilot

[&:] specter remember although front drive cars are not in the rear drive configuration as we think of them they still have a differential and gears its just all one piece with the transmission and like all auto parts they can be changed for a more desirable set if need be. CAMARO DUDE please dont think you can just CAM your car and *poof *instant power. Ive discussed this more here on this site than i can remember but the cam is but one part of the air pump we call a motor and changing only one part may not get the results we expected. this is very true with new computer controlled cars without considering the whole package and altering other parts you WILL only cause yourself grief and lots of money will be wasted. to change a cam in a newer car you will need to spend a couple thousand for the accompanying parts. if you dont you will melt catalytic converters, ruin engines etc kurt
good point, i was talking just carbed and straight-piped V8's though, no computers. but the accompanying mods are needed to make more power

Old 02-05-2008, 05:28 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: t9ojetpilot

so what your saying is, is that if a just replace the cam i have with a new one..i fck up my whole car? what if i need a new camshaft??

Quick Reply: cammed camaro?