General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/c stuck on heat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Default A/c stuck on heat?

newbie here, glad to have found this! about a week ago i had to turn the heat on to help from overheating. Now that thats been taken care of (hopefully lol) it seems like when i try to turn the **** back to cold it stays in a warm setting... what can i check? any help is very appreciated, just cant do the "drop it off at a shop" thing as most women would do lol

Old 07-01-2011, 09:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If you turn the air not from warm or ac but to just cold air, do you get cold air? Then if you turn it on AC you get hot air?

If so go check and see if your ac compressor is kicking in. Generally there are fairly common things with A/C systems (speaking from a generic standpoint):

- A/C Clutch isn't kicking in due to bad coil
- A/C Isn't kicking in because A/C comp isn't getting power
- Low pressure switch is not working
- High pressure switch is not working for A/C

The above would cause the system not turn on the A/C at all. I am not familiar with your specific car, assuming the system is not different from that (and hopefully someone here could verify or offering more info, i'm simply answering because i see no one answered yet), you can test the switch by putting a couple pins in the wires and using a multimeter. Check with the A/C on and make sure they both get 12v, if they do, the switch is saying "Turn on, A/C!" if one wire has voltage, the other doesn't, the switch is OFF, which would either be a bad high pressure switch OR it would be lack of freon in your system.

The other is easy to check by getting the same testing pins in the wires to your A/C comp where it feeds in 12v and seeing if it gets power, if it does, then the coil in the compressor would be bad.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:32 PM

Can you change direction of the air flow? If it is only coming out at the floor, the $2 plastic vacuum valve could be bad. I don't remember if this would make A/C still blow heat though.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Tech Droid

Assuming the AC is working OK. The way this car works, when the AC is on, the outside air is routed through the heater core all times, when you want cool air, the heated air is directed to the AC evaporator which removes the humidity from the hot air and then cools it down. The temp ****, you are turning, is connected with a cable to an air diverter door inside the AC plenum which controls the amount of hot air being routed to the AC evaporator. When you turn the temp **** all the way, one way or the other, you should hear the diverter door hit the stops. If not then you need to check that cable out.
The other controls select which vent the air is coming from by controlling vacuum motors. However; these are not involved in controlling air temperature.

Last edited by z28pete; 07-29-2011 at 03:55 PM.