General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brakes I got a stumper

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Brakes I got a stumper

Yes plug the ones that are not in use. Did you get the carb new? There should be instructions as to put what hose where or maybe you can look online. Sometimes Summit has them in pdf on the web page that displays the part.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

No, I got it with the motor. they werent bolted on hence my backwards installation of the carb ( if you read that post). I will have to do some digging to see if I can find a diagram. that would be very helpful.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:24 AM
2nd Gear member

[&:] please plug those not in use or the vacuum leaks will cause lean conditions for the engine. you want the brake booster to run off manifold vacuum(usually fittings at base of carb or on manifold itself) the distributor should be hooked up to a ported source that gives vacuum when throttle is applied(usually fittings about halfway up carb, they only suck when throttle is opened a bit) remember to reset timing if its been hooked up to a manifold source youll find more power and runs better if your removing from incorrect manifold and putting it on ported source, also find a bit more vacuum when dist is hooked up correctly. there are a few applications where the dist was hooked to manifold but that was factory stuff NOT aftermarket or performance stuff. the vacuum line to the dist is mostly for fuel ecomomy but does help with low speed performance as well. higher performance engines that have little vacuum and dont come to life until the point that the mechanical advance is working anyway do not use vacuum advance kurt

mike mike mike youve given a slight contradiction to the man....everything below the butterflies is manifold vacuum, for almost all applications the dist wants a ported source which comes from a transition port at or just above or in front of the butterflies

Old 11-04-2007, 01:24 AM
Overdrive Member

Figure out what part number carb you have. You can look at Summit and find the one that looks like yours. Summit uses the manufacture part number then go here and see if they have a manual in pdf for your carb.
http://www.holley.com/TechService/Instructions.asp

Old 11-04-2007, 01:44 AM
Overdrive Member

Kurt
Do not ever address me again. I notice you finally shut your hole on the timing and over heating= run on issue. You should keep it that way.
Regaurdless of what I said I have provided a link to instructions for him instead of blowing a lot of smoke up his *** like you are so good for.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:53 AM
2nd Gear member

ouch are we always this angry or just when were caught dispensing incorrect information. and is that manifold smoke from above or below the throttle plates really chill out

Old 11-04-2007, 01:06 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: t9ojetpilot

ouch are we always this angry or just when were caught dispensing incorrect information. and is that manifold smoke from above or below the throttle plates really chill out
Nope never angry. My heart rate will never go past 80bpm. And I looked back at my post and saw where I left out words as I was thinking but I did one better and provided a link to proper instruction. Though I would not put it past you to look at Holleys own instructions and say its wrong. [sm=shutup.gif]

Old 11-04-2007, 01:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes

WHOOOOOOAAAA!! Hey GUYS! It is ok, I amthe amature here! I appreciate both of you offering any information you have in this matter. You both have given me something to look at. I will go check the model of my carb in the morning. Thank You again! I really appreciate the info you have provided me.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

You can purchase a carb spacer that has a Vac nipple on it just for brake application. Get a Vac guage, it will really help.