General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

accelerator pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: accelerator pump

no no no lol. the carb i have is a performance holley rochester model. its a holley built to fit like a rochester. so none of the connectors go back on it, and i am able to tune the air/fuel ratio myself.the 2 screws are on the bottom of the carb. i know this has been done before, im wondering how you get that damn light to go off lol.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Overdrive Member

No no no. lol. The original carb that was computer controled had a mixture solenoid for the A/F ratio. The screws only work for idle. The solenoid worked for idle to part throttle. The light wont go out without those hooked up

Old 04-06-2007, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

i figured as much, but what does everyone else do that put diff carbs on their car. like if i had gotten the street avenger that day and made it fit by taking the egr valve off and blocking the hole. i would still have those free connectors. what i meant was im sure someone else has done this before. do they just deal with the light, or do they find some kind of bypass? idk. just wondering. the new carb as four screws. 1 for fast idle speed, one for idle speed. 1 for a/f mixture for first 2 barrels. and another screw for the other 2 barrels.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:14 AM
Overdrive Member

Get a non computer controled distributer and do away with the puter
other wise your computer is not finding those items and wont work properly. It is most likly running your car in a "limp" mode. Black electrical tape over the light
LOL

Old 04-06-2007, 12:50 PM
1st Gear Member

lol, electrical tape. yea, the car feels a little weaker than before. so after tires comes new msd distributor!! which one should i get i was thinkin bout the hei streetfire. all this aftermarket stuff makes you realize just how much you dont know about cars lol. could you recommend one to me.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Overdrive Member

The 8362 (second one down) is inexpensive and you can plug your tach and power wires right into it.
Msd is a good choice I know a guy that buys the accel because they are a few bucks cheaper then they dont work.
Top it off with some MSD super conductor wires. I used those wires for years. Very low resitance and no radio interferance

Old 04-07-2007, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

cool, would i have to get the msd ignition coil too. cause i planned on the cables and distro. wasnt sure about the coil. i think i should tho. and i got some yokohamas today.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:24 AM
Overdrive Member

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...15&Nao=0#rstop
Sorry I forgot the link
Oh and I think it comes with a coil

Old 04-07-2007, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

ever installed a distributor? i read it can be difficult. should i get it dont professionally. im not new to tough jobs at all. ive been an aviation maintenance student for since high school (still finishing up) so i should be able to handle it.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:01 AM
Overdrive Member

Its not hard to do. You will be pulling one out. Just drop the other one in and make the rotor tip point in the same direction in the same spot. Make note where the distributer base is sitting so the cap will go on and face the same way. Sometimes as you pull the distributer out the oil pump wont turn enough to put it back in so you may have to turn it with a long screwdriver a little bit. Nothing big to do.

Quick Reply: accelerator pump