General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Camaro Oil sensor linked to fuel pump op?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Default 96 Camaro Oil sensor linked to fuel pump op?

Hello, 96 Camaro V-6 and double checking, does the oil pressure sensor second as a cut off switch for the fuel pump?

Relays are good, fuses are good, ground from relay connector is iffy .54 ohms (will be cleaned and fixed).

It really gets me having to drop an axle to be able to finish trouble shooting a simple problem, engineers are a useless bunch.
I mean common built in obsolesces is one thing, designed repair profiteering is just plain ignorant!!

Old 02-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Default part of my own answer

Well the oil presure sensor on a 96 does control the fuel pump, low presure cuts off the fuel pump, it fixed my problem.

I still have not been to the dealer, my oil sensor has a four wire termanal and the wiring harness clip only uses two of them. So does it mean I have a fuel pump reset switch also, anyone?

Last edited by steelhorse; 02-23-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: even poorer grammer
Old 02-23-2010, 07:20 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

not sure if u have two sensors or not. some have one by the oil filter and one behind the intake and some just have one. in any case the computer tells the fuel pump to come on or not, i know it will cut the fuel pump if the motor does not start in a certain time. what have u done so far to the car as far as replacing parts and repairs? what have u checked and how? have u had it scanned? u said u got the problem fixed so is the car running now?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Default 96 v6

No\low fuel pressure was the problem, hard starts (crank for 4-8 starter revolutions before starting) then one morning nothing, not even a prime. Starter relay was my first choice, still nothing; a few mechanics told me some Camaros have the fuel pump reset switch, from doing resets on other Camaro years.

So started pulling and checking electical connectors pulled the oil pressure sensor male harness clip because it was easy to get at, low and behold oil leaking from the sensor into the connector; cleaned clip and replaced sensor. After replacing the oil pressure sensor and the system had primed and since then it has started right up not even a full starter revolution and runs like a champ.

The dealer shows a four pin oil pressure sensor duel listed as a cut off switch for the fuel pump, after market is also four pin, my wiring harness only uses two. This time around it was the oil sensor killing the fuel pump, next time around who knows?

None of the wiring schematics I have show the oil sensor as part of the fuel system, I was hoping someone had the dealer schematics for the 96 V6. What switches or sensors don’t I know about, arrgh!

I so need to order the OEM Factory Maintenance books, any pdf versions floating around for a 96 I have the pdf Chilton’s and hard copy Haynes they so su*k?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:12 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

this is the one u want, not in good shape but a good price. theres another in good shape but its like 60 bucks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_1376wt_715

Old 02-23-2010, 08:14 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i find em easier with the "factory shop manual" search

Old 02-26-2010, 06:42 PM

thank you guys so much. just happened to come across this thred and it fixed my car. went to check and my oil sensor is full of oil.
you guys saved me alot of trouble and money

Old 02-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The sending oil sending unit should not cause a no start. The engine should start and run for 5-8 seconds. Something like that, then shut back off. If you cycle the key back to off it will do the same thing again. They are normally very easy to find cause the complaints are always the same. Car starts and then shuts off. This time delay is to allow oil pressure to build at idle rather then oil pressure by starter RPMs.

Your earlier description of the failure is very common with these fuel pumps. It starts with occational hard to starts then normally within a week to a month it fails completely.

I hope you guys got your cars fixed but I would not go on any long trips till I went a couple of weeks with no issues.

Last edited by Gorn; 02-27-2010 at 12:37 PM.