General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 lt1 Cap & Rotor. What brand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Default 95 lt1 Cap & Rotor. What brand?

New member here, long time listener, first time caller..

Anyways, I have a 95 9C1 {caprice} with a 95 F-body lt1-T56 swap I did about 5 years ago. The Opti took a dump on me, at least thats what I think it is. Its starts and idles fine, but give it any gas and it shakes and stumbles through the rpm range without throwing a CEL. I know with the ABITS system it could be a number of things and in the next few days I'll break out the voltmeter and start running tests.

My question for you LT1 guru's is what brand should I go with that can ensure me some sort of longevity?

The last 5 days or so I've spent reading at all sorts of different Chev/LT1 forums and it seems everyone is on the fence about brand, with the exception of AC DELCO. That's a dealer only item, and I don't want to pay what they are asking.. $250-$350 and that's just for the Cap & Rotor!! I've heard MSD is crap for this app, so? Jeg's? Summit? Borg War?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

we have a vender on here, chandlermotorsports, that sells a opti that is warrented and is at a good price. we have a few guys that have used them without issues. i am using a msd on mine without issues and have a gm performance as a backup. you are right the problem could just be fouled plugs or 02 sensors. take a couple plugs and a 02 out and check to see. if there all black then change em and see how she reacts. how old is the opti? i would not change just the cap and rotor. should also consider a new water pump as well if its gettin old. last thing you want is a old pump leaking on a new opti.

Last edited by craby; 03-02-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!
Well everything from the rad. to rear end has either been rebuilt, replaced or serviced in the last five years with the exception of {you nailed it} the opti, O2's, coil, and fuel pump.The motor {rebuilt with about 20k on it now} & trans are essentially stock. No cats, headers, a PCtune for less, and 4.10's in the rear.
The water pump is new as of last summer including the plugs.. Wouldn't the O2's throw a CEL if one or both went out? Your right though, I should just replace them anyways...

This is my daily driver so I do want it back in action but, I myself am on the fence about how much I want to spend to put it back on the road, because I was thinking of doing a 5.4-6.0 LSX swap, forced induction, and a TKO-T56 this summer.

Most of the cap & rotor kits have a yr-3yr warranty from what I've been told.
How much does your vendor here ballpark the whole opti for?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:46 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

02's can give false proper readings when they get fouled. give a normal or lean reading when rich. if your going to tear it down to change the cap and rotor you should change the whole opti. the opti reader is a common place of falure. here s there buy page. http://chandlermotorsports.com/11040...optispark.html

Old 03-02-2011, 06:18 PM

Well I went and read all over hell and back about the Opti their offering and it seems that's the way to go despite what a few tire kickers are saying. I'll be ordering from them tomorrow... Thanks a lot Craby!!! You just saved me some dough..

One other question for you about the coil. Is the $50 MSD unit worth it? I figure I might as well replace it too.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

thats what im using but i have a msd opti thats made for the extra spark. its not good to use with the non vented style opti. it can overload them with gasses from the increased spark. i think there ok with the vented opti. not really nessesary, the stock coil has some good power. i have found the plugs have more to do with getting good spark. i like the ngk irridium plugs. lol they wont save you any money, well maybe, they last really good so you dont have to change the plugs for a long time. suckers are expensive.