General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'92 RS Having Issues w/Temperature Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Default '92 RS Having Issues w/Temperature Gauge

I am using this as a last resort to get more info. I do not know about cars but need your advice!

I have a '92 RS that has always had problems running hot. Meaning, you open the hood and WOW! There are times I'll be driving and while idling in traffice, etc. the temp gauge goes close to the red. I took it in yesterday thinking it was the thermostat, but was told it was the engine coolant temp sensor which they replaced. NO GOOD. Didn't do the trick. So, now they're thinking it's the wire connecting from the sensor to the gauge. He took a tool and touched the wire and jiggled it and the gauge started jumping (???). They suggested put another new gauge hooked up inside the car so I can ensure my baby doesn't overheat. Has anyone ever experienced this?? THANKS so much...Maria/Dallas

Old 04-12-2007, 11:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: '92 RS Having Issues w/Temperature Gauge

Hmm. First, is it actually running hot or overheating? Was the running tempurature of the car compared to the gauges. Easy way would be to have a scanner hooked up and look at the PCM's coolant temp comparative to the dash gauge reading. GM gauges can be notoriously inaccurate but I would verify it before part swapping.

If the engine isn't running hot but the gauge reads so then your tech may be on the right track with a wiring or gauge issue.

If the engine is overheating, running hot then start with the basics. Are the coolant fans running on and off as it reaches tempurature? You can verify fan operation by turning the A/C on or defrost on. This will engage the cooling fan. No fan operation? Make sure the motor isn't burnt up. Then make sure the PCM is commanding fan on and that the fan relay or fuses are also good. Fuse checking is actually a first step...

You should also do a quick chemical test of the antifreeze with the engine warm. Just to check for CO gases getting into the coolant which is a sign of a possible head gasket failure, or some other type of mechanical leak.

These tests can lead to what your next steps should be.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: williesrepair

Hmm. First, is it actually running hot or overheating? Was the running tempurature of the car compared to the gauges. Easy way would be to have a scanner hooked up and look at the PCM's coolant temp comparative to the dash gauge reading. GM gauges can be notoriously inaccurate but I would verify it before part swapping.

If the engine isn't running hot but the gauge reads so then your tech may be on the right track with a wiring or gauge issue.

If the engine is overheating, running hot then start with the basics. Are the coolant fans running on and off as it reaches tempurature? You can verify fan operation by turning the A/C on or defrost on. This will engage the cooling fan. No fan operation? Make sure the motor isn't burnt up. Then make sure the PCM is commanding fan on and that the fan relay or fuses are also good. Fuse checking is actually a first step...

You should also do a quick chemical test of the antifreeze with the engine warm. Just to check for CO gases getting into the coolant which is a sign of a possible head gasket failure, or some other type of mechanical leak.

These tests can lead to what your next steps should be.
And find a better mechanic.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:32 AM

The fans on these cars does not do their job, try the double fans like the firebirds have. I know they work and will keep your car running cool

Old 03-07-2008, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes i have a 91 rs and it did the exact same thing, guage went haywire, so i put a tee in the intake, (original location ) and hook up a mechanical gauge, trust them more anyway and it as a 195 degree stat in it! gauge reads around 200 degrees all the time. but make sure if you do this that you still run the electrical temp coolant sensor with it! cause if yu dont, she wont like it, computer will go into closed loop, thinking the engine is cold and in turn dump way too much fuel at her. found out the hard way. Good luck did the same with my oil pressure gauge as well, itslocated down by the oil filter, just tap in to it with a tee fitting. best of luck.