General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

454 in 89 rs!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Default 454 in 89 rs!?!?

i want to build this 454 for my 89 rs. how much does it take to get this 500hp and will that pull the wheels off the ground. any ideas on how to get up to 500 with out killing my pockets. can i have a stock crank bore and good top end...thanx guys please help!

Old 04-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: 454 in 89 rs!?!?

Depends on how big your pocekts are. The big block can be built to make serious power, but the parts are expensive compared to a small block. You will need:
Forged high compression pistons around 10-11 to 1.
Forged rods & craknshaft, unless the engine already has them.
Oval port heads, aluminum preferred, to maintain low end torque and good power on top, rectangular ports flow more but have poor bottom end.
Matching intake manifold with a carb around 900 CFM.
Camshaft that makes torque between 2500 - 5500 RPM, max power @ 6200 - 6500 RPM, roller cam would be the way to go.
Roller rockers to cut down on friction (worth 10-15HP on top end)
Headers, long tube preferred.
Make sure the rotating assembly is perfectly balanced, there is a lot of heavy stuff spinning around.

Beef up the running gear, stock 89 drive train won't last long.
Beef up the chassis, sub frame connectors are a must, unless you like a wrinkled roof, and cracks by the rear window post.
Beef up all rear end linkage and set the rear suspension up for drag racing. (this is another story)
Put on widest slicks that will fit.
Start with 3.70 rear end gears if using an auto or 4.11 gears if using manual.

This is just a starter there are many other things that will need to be done, including finding room under the hood to stuff this engine into.