General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

396 engine build

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Default 396 engine build

can i use roller lifters on a non roler cam? if so what is a good cam?

Old 09-22-2007, 01:30 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: 396 engine build

[&:] nooooo grasshopper the roller lifters are for roller cams only and flat tappet lifters are for flat tappet cams only the results of mixing will be quite unsatisfactory if not disasterous. youll find that roller cams like most things having to do with cars fall under the adage "how fast do you want to go depends on how much money do you want to spend" roller set ups are about four times more expensive than the flat tappet. there are several reasons for this but well suffice to say that you will get more bang for your buck in improved HP numbers and reduced friction(heat).. if you have the bucks its a kool set up but does it give you four times the HP for four times the dollars nooo. usually its for the guys who have found all the easy HP elsewhere in the engine and are looking for the last few HP from the engine. as for good cams ive found most of the big name companies to produce quality pieces.PLEASE remember that the cam really needs to be matched to the rest of the parts of the engine(heads, intake, carbcompression ratio, headers etc) for the best performance otherwise its kind of wasted money. i have used edelbrocks components with great success, they have great performance proven parts combos . most companies RV or torque cams work well in mostly stock engines and it goes on from there as far as what you add or rebiuld the engine for kurt

Old 09-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Tech Droid

ORIGINAL: t9ojetpilot

[&:] nooooo grasshopper the roller lifters are for roller cams only and flat tappet lifters are for flat tappet cams only the results of mixing will be quite unsatisfactory if not disasterous. youll find that roller cams like most things having to do with cars fall under the adage "how fast do you want to go depends on how much money do you want to spend" roller set ups are about four times more expensive than the flat tappet. there are several reasons for this but well suffice to say that you will get more bang for your buck in improved HP numbers and reduced friction(heat).. if you have the bucks its a kool set up but does it give you four times the HP for four times the dollars nooo. usually its for the guys who have found all the easy HP elsewhere in the engine and are looking for the last few HP from the engine. as for good cams ive found most of the big name companies to produce quality pieces.PLEASE remember that the cam really needs to be matched to the rest of the parts of the engine(heads, intake, carbcompression ratio, headers etc) for the best performance otherwise its kind of wasted money. i have used edelbrocks components with great success, they have great performance proven parts combos . most companies RV or torque cams work well in mostly stock engines and it goes on from there as far as what you add or rebiuld the engine for kurt
I wish there was a way to make people realize that a camshaft is not a magic stick that brings in all sorts of power. As you said, they don't realize that everything has to be matched up to get the best results. The old adage about a chain being as strong as its weakest link also applies to engines. An engine will breathe as good as the worst part allows.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:44 PM

i have a used 396 that i'm trying to rebuild. i know i need machine work on my heads so i'm trying to match the cam. the short block also needs machining so i'm starting with the cam and building out.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:35 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] dodge eater more to the point than starting with the cam is , first and foremost what kind of budget do you have and second how much HP and torque, tempered by reliability, do you want a HP per cubic inch is a modest goal for engine rebuilding without sacrficing reliability so you can see rather easily how the old adage that theres no substitute for the cubic inch to make HP may apply. the 396 costs about the same to rebuild as the 454 but its all a personal choice and may depend on vehicle correct etc have fun kurt

Old 09-23-2007, 10:58 PM

i have a modest budget and have to have it done in 6 months!!! as far as hp goes a more realiable street rod is my goal!!!!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:47 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] i highly recommend edelbrock and thier matched components. you can spend a little or a lot depending on what all you get and they have tried and proven component combos enjoy your build kurt