General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: 2 questions

ORIGINAL: t9ojetpilot

[&:] mad mike z28 was an rpo code from day one and it usually got you the top shelf parts for any years production run kurt
Yeah no Freakin ****!
No soup for you!!!!

Old 10-06-2007, 08:10 PM
2nd Gear member

[:'(] oh great master of punctuation and symbols you must forgive my ignorant self i believe i read the bonus point question wrong. ill try 1969 -1970 as the changeover date for the logo. so while your feeling omnipotent maybe you or someone else can tell us how to tell a two bolt main small block from a four bolt main from the outside(no pullin the pan)

Old 10-06-2007, 08:26 PM

[&:] dave nice ride!!!! sounds like its got a healthy cam in it and looks and sounds to run ok at least below 4 grand. based on what ive seen and heard i wouldnt think this set up to be overcammed. the mods(headers, intake etc.) would at least externaly match the cam selection. compression ratio and cam specs would be helpful but sounds to work just fine. overcamming would come from choosing a cam that doesnt match the internal and external mods that have been done to the engine and as i said it sounds and looks like yours is a well matched set. the larger the cam the higher into the rpm range it tends to operate. stock cams usually off idle to 4000 rpm, torque or rv cams usually 1500-5500 and all the racey race stuff (poor idle, little vacuum) starts above that and they dont start to smooth out until 2500 rpm or so and go up to 10 grand rpm in some applications. SO if anything this cam should like it above four grand and still be pulling to 6-7 grand. the th400 is a great choice and shouldnt be doing anything different at 5 grand than its doing at 3 grand. th400 are kind of the big dummy of trannys theyre bullet proof and have almost no external inputs, NO torque converter clutch. looks like you have an msd box, there isnt something goofy like a 4 -5 grand rev limiter chip in it is there?? whats your timing set at both initial and total, this will vary with engine specs but around 4-6 initial and 36 total is about what a motor like this should work well on. what does it act like as it loses power?? kurt
hey kurt,
actually its around 4000 where it seems to fall down. the rev limiter is set at 7000. ur right on with the timing, 36. off the line it runs strong. then around 4000 grand the tach starts movin real slow and the car doesnt move the way it should. now my other car is a low to mid 11 sec car. when i bought this car i was told it went low 12's. definately does not do that. btw the cam size was increased from the one the came with the heads. problem is im still waiting for all the paper work and receipts to see how much bigger. i was told by a friend(gear head) that because its not a stick car matching is extremely critical. little more info for ya. thanx.

dave

Old 10-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Overdrive Member

[:'(] oh great master of punctuation and symbols you must forgive my ignorant self i believe i read the bonus point question wrong. ill try 1969 -1970 as the changeover date for the logo. so while your feeling omnipotent maybe you or someone else can tell us how to tell a two bolt main small block from a four bolt main from the outside(no pullin the pan)
Well the only thing that comes to mind right now is the Myth that all small blocks with a casting number "010" are 4 bolt mains.
Oh and 70 was the first year that they dropped the slash but other than that the emblem stayed the same until 74. Books and magazines will use Z/28 in reference up to the 74 year. 75-76 had no Z/28 or Z28 models and when it came back in 77 it was Z28.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:38 AM
2nd Gear member

[&:] dave component matching is important in all motors especially in auto trans cause you cant just slip the clutch and feather the gas to keep her runnin and cleared out. what size is the exhaust and how is it configured?? also what brand is the carb and what numbers are on it?? from the info provided so far this engine should really be wanting to scream at 4 grand and above. will it rev to 5-6 k allright with no load?? is the fuel pump electric or mechanical?? fuel filter been checked lately?? looks like you have a fuel pressure gauge by the carb?? if you rev it to 6k real quick what happens to the pressure, also what pressure are you running it at?? i really dont suspect tranny or engine internals as the source of your problem

Old 10-07-2007, 12:51 AM
2nd Gear member

mad mike and oh what a myth it is as im sure your aware. "010" blocks are the only ones i usually keep around as it is considered to be one of if not the best for several reasons. and indeed they were made in both two and four bolt configurations. they were one of probably the highest production numbers for four bolt but that was probably only a fraction of its two bolt configuration production numbers.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:05 AM
Overdrive Member

mad mike and oh what a myth it is as im sure your aware. "010" blocks are the only ones i usually keep around as it is considered to be one of if not the best for several reasons. and indeed they were made in both two and four bolt configurations. they were one of probably the highest production numbers for four bolt but that was probably only a fraction of its two bolt configuration production numbers.
Of course I am aware of the myth. Did you not read my post correctly again? And it looks as if I answered your question.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:44 AM
2nd Gear member

[&:][8D] so where in the great book of books does it say a myth cant be a reality??? there is one way to tell externally but i thought that since you appear to know all in the great chevrolet kingdom id test that knowledge, so no it doesnt look as though you answered my question

Old 10-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Overdrive Member

Well why don't you stop ****ing around and enlighten all of us Mr. Goodwrench and tell us the answer. Unless....You are stupid enough to believe the "010" myth.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] mike did you not read my post correctly ?? the myth is just that, and as i stated they are made in both two and four bolt configuration. im not the one comin on here and treating others as though they're stupid compared to myself or others. ones number of posts is not proportional to ones knowledge of the subject matter, merely a reflection of the time they spend in front of the glowing monitor. me well ill never profess to know it all and am here to help others with what little i do know. ive been a bowtie guy for more than 1 or 2 days and have held an ASE master certification for more than a day or two as well. as for the mythbusting solution to the riddle, try looking at the top bolt hole for the trans bellhousing on the block, if its drilled and threaded its a four bolt. now theres a bit of bowtie trivia you can use and without an omnipotent presentation

Quick Reply: 2 questions