General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 12:02 AM
Default 2 questions

like it says i have 2 questions. first is small. was just wondering if there is a way to have a cold air intake on a 71 camaro. the second is tough. 3 people have told me different things. my car makes good torque. when i get up to around 4k rpm the car seems to bog down. 1 said tranny problem, one said tc might not be lockin up, last said problem internally(piston rings, not a straight wall, etc.) all the small things have been checked
(timing, fuel pressure, vacuum, etc) anyone with any ideas? thanx.

dave

Old 10-06-2007, 12:57 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: 2 questions

Here is a thought for a CAI.
http://www.ramairbox.com/
And on the second, Your moving so I would not say your TC. You did not mention what tranny you have so I am assuming some one did not install one with a Torque Converter Clutch. Maybe you are not getting enough fuel, carb is **** or your spark advance is not working.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:24 AM
2nd Gear member

hes right on the second point, as for clod air, take an LT1 air cleaner (first LT1, not the newer one) its dual snorkel, and you could prolly rig something off that, would also be good if you could get it to seal fora turbo box imo

Old 10-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Overdrive Member

isnt cold air intake just for fuel injected engines ?

Old 10-06-2007, 01:10 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] Alih cold air is good for every engine. are you old enough to remember or be familiar with the ram air or cowl induction craze of the 60's and 70's??? yup cold air was the goal. it may be more noticable now (cold air kits) because most mods to fuel injected engines are expensive compared to older carbed versions and cold air kits are a relatively inexpensive mod that the owner can usually do. STONEY there are many ways to get cold air to your 71, cowl induction hood, both truck and some cars came equipped with a large snorkel air cleaner which can be ducted to a cold air spot(some trucks did this from the factory) aluminum duct can be found in many sizes at the local home supply store. im sure if you look there is also some company that sells some razzu set up as well. as for your power problem, without more details, that you have a fuel and or air supply problem. if you want some help attempting to figure it out let us know and well have you try a couple things kurt

Old 10-06-2007, 04:09 PM

thanx for all the quick responses. i like it here already. the trans is a th400 automatic. here are some vids. http://youtube.com/watch?v=BgGJw91dGrE. these 2 are revving with a load and no load. someone who was tryin to help wanted to see. http://youtube.com/watch?v=0_D3AhzX5DIand http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rh534-a80u8. the second is me foot brakin to simulate a load. i was also told i may be over cammed. but can that rob me of that much HP?

dave

Old 10-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Overdrive Member

i just thought it was different for carbed engines cause of the air filter

Old 10-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: riceeater

hes right on the second point, as for clod air, take an LT1 air cleaner (first LT1, not the newer one) its dual snorkel, and you could prolly rig something off that, would also be good if you could get it to seal fora turbo box imo
The early L T 1 is typed LT-1. But there are even older guys that claim to be gear heads or somthing that don't even know that. (for extra points can anyone tell when Z/28 became Z28?)
t9ojetpiolot is correct about the cold air from way back. Camaro's first had an air cleaner that had atube that went to the firewall to draw air in through the vents on top. Gm found that was a high pressure zone. And in 69 they added the "Super Scoop". Its what we all call a cowl industion hood. There is also the "Air Induction" on the 80-81.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:37 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] dave nice ride!!!! sounds like its got a healthy cam in it and looks and sounds to run ok at least below 4 grand. based on what ive seen and heard i wouldnt think this set up to be overcammed. the mods(headers, intake etc.) would at least externaly match the cam selection. compression ratio and cam specs would be helpful but sounds to work just fine. overcamming would come from choosing a cam that doesnt match the internal and external mods that have been done to the engine and as i said it sounds and looks like yours is a well matched set. the larger the cam the higher into the rpm range it tends to operate. stock cams usually off idle to 4000 rpm, torque or rv cams usually 1500-5500 and all the racey race stuff (poor idle, little vacuum) starts above that and they dont start to smooth out until 2500 rpm or so and go up to 10 grand rpm in some applications. SO if anything this cam should like it above four grand and still be pulling to 6-7 grand. the th400 is a great choice and shouldnt be doing anything different at 5 grand than its doing at 3 grand. th400 are kind of the big dummy of trannys theyre bullet proof and have almost no external inputs, NO torque converter clutch. looks like you have an msd box, there isnt something goofy like a 4 -5 grand rev limiter chip in it is there?? whats your timing set at both initial and total, this will vary with engine specs but around 4-6 initial and 36 total is about what a motor like this should work well on. what does it act like as it loses power?? kurt

Old 10-06-2007, 05:45 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] mad mike z28 was an rpo code from day one and it usually got you the top shelf parts for any years production run kurt

Quick Reply: 2 questions